4.3 Carb…What’s That Hose?

jeb6294

Seaman
1987 Mercruiser 4.3/175. Found this hose that came loose from the carb. Common sense says it goes to the elbow, but it is way too short. Can I splice in a small piece of hose? Happen to know what size that is?

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 24

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You will likely find that the other end of that hose goes to the Fuel Pump, and is there to prevent any Fuel from a leaking Pump Diaphragm, spilling into the Bilge, by diverting it to the Carb.
By now the Hose is likely stiff and inflexible, and should be replaced. Again, getting the Hose from a Marine Dealer, should insure getting one that is USCG Compliant, not oversize Windshield Washer Hose

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, clear so you can see if there is fuel in it, but don't use the clear hose you find at the hardware store on the reels. That hose is yellow so the know it's approved hose by a quick glance.

Bondo

Staff member
Yup, clear so you can see if there is fuel in it, but don't use the clear hose you find at the hardware store on the reels. That hose is yellow so the know it's approved hose by a quick glance.
Ayuh,...... My hardware store sells Tygon tubing, which is exactly what you want on there,....

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Safety inspections will specifically look for the yellow tinted hose to ensure it's fuel proof.
Clear Tygon will stand up to the fuels, but the cheapo PVC clear tubing (same stuff they sell for fish tanks) also available in the HW stores wont do well with the chemicals. Problem is, it's hard to distinguish the PVC from the Tygon, just looking at them.

Scott06

Admiral
Ayuh,...... My hardware store sells Tygon tubing, which is exactly what you want on there,....
Local NAPA has it as well. Probably anyplace that deals with small engine parts and repair does as well.