35hp Johnson

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 35hp 1976 Johnson that has a bad miss on the bottom cylinder. I thought I had the problem licked but it came back. If I put a timing light on it, there is no flash out of it, meaning there is no spark at all. I put in new coils, driver coil, points and condensers last month and even tested the wiring harness from the stator plate. I took the stator plate off to clean it up, too. Thanks for your info.

tazzy62

Seaman
Re: 35hp Johnson

i had the same problem on an older johnson and in desperation i renewed all the wiring that goes into the stator plate and it worked better than before the no spark problem appeared. i had checked out my original wiring with a continuity meter and it had showed fine. however it must have been offering some resistance because it cured the problem. hope it works for you. p.s. i did use good quality copper wire and soldered the connection tags as well as crimping them.

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 35hp Johnson

Thanks, I'll do that this weekend. I'm getting pretty desprate too, I've been working on it for at least two months now. It's got good compression (123 on top, 122 on bottom), its just this ignition gremlin.