35hp Chrysler broken bolt/stud need help

Jake'sdad

Recruit
I have just purchased a new to me boat with a 1975 Chrysler 35HP outboard. I have noticed that on the engine there is a stud or bolt that is snapped off.
Untitled.jpg

On the other side of the engine there is the same stud/bolt that has a acorn nut on it. Is this an easy fix? How do I go about removing the broken stud/bolt and removing it? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35hp Chrysler broken bolt/stud need help

That stud holds a rubber isolator onto the yoke. I believe the other side screws into the leg. (been a long time since I did one) When in position they will not fall out although the engine may wobble a bit more than usual.

If it is not giving you problems, leave it alone.

If you simply must fix it for aesthetic reasons, unbolt and remove that side of the yoke and replace the whole rubber bushing. It is really not possible to cerrectly drill out the stud and retap the bushing for a bolt.

Be careful when removing the bushing--it will be corroded into the leg and will most likely snap off. Then you will need to drill the leg. You must soak it in penetrant for a couple of days and probably apply heat too.

Jake'sdad

Recruit
Re: 35hp Chrysler broken bolt/stud need help

Thanks Frank, I can see exactly what you are talking about. I haven't had it in the water yet, but if it doesn't give me trouble, I will just leave it alone.

Thanks again.