35hp "big twin" evinrude

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 35hp "big twin" evinrude m/s # 25028-11078. it wont idlw down and the f/n/r linkage wont shift without using alot of force. I can't find any info online, repair manual etc.

Thanks, Shane

lindy46

Captain
Re: 35hp "big twin" evinrude

Carburetor probably needs cleaning/adjusting. Is there gear oil in the lower unit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can't shift it unless the throttle is set to a slow position. So, if you have the throttle advanced in an effort to keep it running, that probably is why it won't shift. Force it and bend something.

You will have to figure out why it won't idle. Many possible causes. Start with a compression test and a spark test.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

there is gear oil and I will be tearing down the carb. where can I get a manual for this? I put the number in and it tells me not found.

Thanks, Shane

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Try EBay for a manual. If you don't find one there, try Ken Cook. He has the copyright on the old OMC manuals and can legally reproduce them. His prices are a bit high, but if you really want an original manual (scanned), he may be the only game in town.

There is also a Seloc manual that covers 1.5hp to 40hp, from 1956 - 1970. I generally don't like the aftermarket manuals, but sometimes you have to go with what you can find.

The good news is that your motor is very simple. Check the compression, check for good ignition on both cylinders and check for proper fuel flow and mixture. That's about it. Of course there are variables (points, coils, needle valve adjustment, dirty carb, etc.) in these few issues, but none of the items involved is particularly difficult to deal with.

???

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a dumb question: can i put a start on this motor?

And I learned it is a 1957 evinrude

CATransplant

Admiral

Yes. Those were available with a starter. The trouble is finding one. However, if you keep your eyes open, you may be able to find a broken 56 or 57 with a good starter. You'll need the bracket and some other parts, too, so your best bet will probably be to find a junker and rob it of parts. The starter and extra bits from a 58 or 59 should fit, too, but they use a 12v system and have an external solenoid and cable. Those can be hard to come by. I'd look for a 56 or 57.

wbeaton

Commander

The 1956 is 6V. 1957 and later were 12V. Both starters will work with a 12V battery. However, the 6V choke solenoid may not function as well on 12V.

jbjennings

Captain

Have you adjusted the idle mixture properly? If not, check the "top secret files" thread and look at the carb adjustment procedure by Joe Reeves. super helpful....
JBJ

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually, the 12V version of that starter isn't hard to find at all - even new. They are used on a number of small, industrial motors, so they are still manufactured. You should find lots of them on EBay.

What may be a little trickier, is finding the bracket that holds the starter. There is also a little bit of difference between the ERude version and the Johnson version, although the Johnson version can be adapted to the ERude motor.

Give me about 24 hours and I'll take a couple of pics of what you need and post them here.

???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Holy Crap an old thread. It even has an answer from CATransplant!!:D:D

I think your hard shifting could be caused from corrosion build up in the shift lever assembly, where the shaft goes into the upper part of the motor leg. I have seen them get stiff there on different motors before. The best thing to do is, pull the owerhead and the shifter shaft and clean it all up. Pack it with new grease and you're good to go. If you have good clean oil down below, then you're good to go.:cool:

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

You have all been very helpful, thank you so much. Looks like i have some work ahead of me. lol

Thanks, Shane

CATransplant

Admiral

Yah, I'm back. It's boating season again. I tend to hole up during the non-boating months and do other stuff. I'll be checking in regularly.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, more questions from a newbie. had the shop tell me the control box is wrong. the one on my boat is made for a mercury not evinrude. So now I need to find a control box for a 1957. and it has to have starter option, right?

Thanks, Shane

Willyclay

Captain

had the shop tell me the control box is wrong.

If by "control box" you are referring to the two-lever, throttle and gear-shift remote controls, then either an Evinrude or Johnson version will work. The electric start motors had a key switch and choke button with a wiring harness that included a starter solenoid separate from the throttle/gear remote control. I will try to post some pictures of them unless another member beats me to it. Hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT: The link below shows a later model but they will fit your motor. Johnson version is called Shipmaster.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=10

Last edited:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The best thing to do is, pull the powerhead and the shifter shaft and clean it all up. Pack it with new grease and you're good to go. If you have good clean oil down below, then you're good to go.:cool:

Holy smokes, that's a lotta work. I'd just try and squirt some lube in there first!

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

ok, will this control box work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VInt...8845851QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

If by "control box" you are referring to the two-lever, throttle and gear-shift remote controls, then either an Evinrude or Johnson version will work. The electric start motors had a key switch and choke button with a wiring harness that included a starter solenoid separate from the throttle/gear remote control. I will try to post some pictures of them unless another member beats me to it. Hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT: The link below shows a later model but they will fit your motor. Johnson version is called Shipmaster.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=10

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yes, but those are short cables and for that price I'd expect/want cables that were long enough and worked.

Where are you located? You dont have it in your profile.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

I am in wisconsin, I'm really getting upset with the boat shop. I feel like they are giving me the run around.

Thanks, Shane