350 Project oil problem

spence spencer

Recruit
I just purchased a 350 Projet. When I first start it the cloud of smoke is to much. I read the posting where Howard made a posting and he said his dealer installed a VRO (Veribale Ratio Oil Pump) Yamaha has nerver heard of this VRO. More research and I've found it's an ONC unit. I'm still trying to locate such a unit. I need mfg and part # and installing instructions. Thanks in advance

Howard Mathews

Recruit
Re: 350 Project oil problem

I just purchased a 350 Projet. When I first start it the cloud of smoke is to much. I read the posting where Howard made a posting and he said his dealer installed a VRO (Veribale Ratio Oil Pump) Yamaha has nerver heard of this VRO. More research and I've found it's an ONC unit. I'm still trying to locate such a unit. I need mfg and part # and installing instructions. Thanks in advance

Contact Jeff McTorn at Delta Watercraft in Bethel Island CA. He installed the variable pump and can give you the info. his phone is 925 684 2620 or cell at 925 575 4098 and he can give you the information.

Now I have a new problem in that we have a lot of weeds on the CA delta and it the projet sucks it up so I am looking for a solution for this. Has anyone with this problem thought of putting some stainless steel wire across the intake grill and that would stop the big pieces from coming in. Any other ideas??

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 350 Project oil problem

The smoking could be caused by a few things. What is the compression? How much smoke on start up? A little puff is normal for two strokes.

Now I have a new problem in that we have a lot of weeds on the CA delta and it the projet sucks it up so I am looking for a solution for this. Has anyone with this problem thought of putting some stainless steel wire across the intake grill and that would stop the big pieces from coming in. Any other ideas??
The weeds sure aren't anything new. I have seen channels completely choked out for over 20 years. I assume yours doesn't have any kind of grate then? Something going front to back should suffice to let the weeds slide past the pump inlet. If you put a mesh type screen on it will plug. Look at what is offered for the PWC crowd pumps for ideas.

With my Nautique it would pick up a funny vibration. We would stop the boat, give it a quick hard hit in reverse to clear the weeds, and off we went. Unfortunately you can't do that with a jet.