350 Mag will not start

Kcsteve4

Cadet
I am posting this for my brother in law. I am not a mechanical wiz so please be patient. He has a Mercruiser 350 mag. This past weekend when he put his boat in the water it would not start due to dead battery. I jumped him with my boat and he drove to marina then shut it off. When he tried to start again it would not turn over. I tried to jump him again and it would not turn over. He then bought a new battery thinking the battery was the problem. While hooking up the battery he connected one of small wires that should have went to the neg post to the pos. Yes he had to force it on. Before he tried to start it he realized his mistake and switched it back. He then tried to start the boat and nothing, would not turn over. Checked lanyard kill switch and main breaker on motor seemed okay. We did find several small fuses that were blown. Replaced them and got blower to run but motor would still not turn over. What are we missing? Are there other breakers or fuses that we are missing? He seems to getting power just the motor will not turn over. Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 350 Mag will not start

There is a circuit breaker on the engine, and on some engines there was a square fuse located on the starter solenoid. that may have blown.
The 350 Mags have been around since the mid 80's, without knowing what year or the serial number, it's tough to get more specific.

Kcsteve4

Cadet

Hi Don, Sorry for not inc year. It's a 2006 I don't know serial #

followme21

Seaman

Although my boat with a 350 MAG is an older version, I have a small breaker on the dash near the ign switch. Its just a button you push in to re-set. I was having some issues with wiring and that breaker would pop.

followme21

Seaman

Also make sure the shifter is completly in neutral.....dont ask how I know to check that first.....

Bondo

Staff member

Thought I would bump this up . Any ideas?

Ayuh,... Don pointed out where to look,...

Grab a multimeter, 'n somebody's gotta go, Look...
'n it don't sound like the Bil is capable...