35 hp Sea King

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 35 hp Sea King, Model # GG8997A, the SN# is 85X737582, Want to know the year and who makes it. And the Oil mix for it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35 hp Sea King

your motor is a 58 It was built by the Gale devision of OMC.It shares many parts with similar Evinrude/Johnson motors.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, well if it is a 58 I guess i should be using a 25:1 ratio, I have put hrs on it with 50:1 and still seems to run good. I suppose it won't hurt to go 25:1.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I looked at the parts breakdown and that motor has neeedle bearings for all crank journals. You can run 50:1. Some models have bronze bushings on some of those journals and those have to run richer. If you're at all nervous, put a pint to 5 gallons instead of 6. That'll be 40:1

kenroy3

Cadet

It's not a good idea to ignore the manual. It calls for 25:1.<br /><br />The bigtwin powerhead had needle bearings as far back as 1953, and the recommendation was 25:1 back then as well.<br /><br />Oil and the occaisional decarbonizer are a lot cheaper than replacement parts, to say nothing of what you'll do if the motor throws a rod through the side of the crankcase several miles from home.<br /><br />Yes, the traditional argument is that the newer TCW oils do a better job than what was available in the 50s, but oil had more uses than just lubrication, including helping cool the engine at low speeds and helping powerhead seals do their job.<br /><br />If these statements don't convince you then consider the last point: If you are not the original owner of the engine, you have no idea how it was treated by the previous owners. A little extra lubrication may extend the life of the motor despite any previous abuse.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Points gap .020<br />Sparkplug Champion J6C if you run rich oil, J4C otherwise. .030 gap<br />Any good mechanical-shift marine gearlube is fine<br />Low speed jet (upper) 1 turn out<br />High speed jet (lower) 5/8 turn out<br /><br />Those were made in Galesburg IL. Most parts are commmon to Johnson/Evinrude, some aren't.<br /><br />Props are common as dirt, same as 28-40Hp Johnnyrudes of the 60s.<br /><br />Feel free to post about it in the Johnson/Evinrude section in the future. You'll probably get more responses.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The wrist pin bearings are plain though. They did switch those over in about '61 to needle bearings, and in '64 they 'officially' went to 50:1.<br />I know a number of people who use 50:1 on Big Twins with those plain wrist pin bearings, and they report no problems. But on the same note, worn out wrist pin bearings on those engines aren't unheard of either.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice, like I said I have put some hrs on the motor, probably 15, I was nervous about the ratio then, my worry is if I mix it too rich, won't that foul the plugs, I have been mixing 5 gal to a pint, but will try the 25:1 ratio , if the weather ever straighten out here in Idaho. I have a 53 Rude that I screwed up on with the mix, 50 to 1 instead of 25 to 1 , tore it down and the sleeves are scared but it still runs till it warms up. Well thanks a bunch and will see how the 25 to 1 works.

zuke

Seaman

hey, asa vet...<br />i have a 59' 35hp seaking and i run 25:1 and it runs great. i find the best thing for mixin the oil, i bought one of those little mixing bottles from walmart for like 99cents and it has a great little mixing chart right on it that tells you exactly how much fuel to use per gallon/ltr.<br />dont know if i helped any... but it helped me.<br />later

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Well like I said , I have used it and it still seems to be okay, I just didn't want to use too much oil and foul the plugs out in the middle of the river. It's a ***** to use the elec troller to get to shore. How about sending some heat up this way Zuke, so I can get with the fishing.