33hp evinrude

redfish guy

Cadet
i just got a 13foot fiberglass boat with a 33hp evinrude.i put in the lagoon for spin and it acted like i was taking it and puting on high throatle and low up and down then smoked real bad and stoped running.i payed a guy to do a commpresion check and top spark was 95 bottom spark was 45.don't know if piston got stuck or what please help

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 33hp evinrude

Hi, Zore.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Outboard engine troubles are posted in the Outboard troubles forums.<br /><br />I will move this to Johnson & Evinrude troubles.

redfish guy

Cadet

i took the head off and gaskit was bad. But pistons was fine.Does that mean my engin is blown. Or can a engin be blown if pistons are good .All the repair shops say that the commpresion was so off that it is.Hard to believe. zore

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, that's very good news - it's likely the source of your low compression. How do the walls of the bore look? We are looking for scrapes in the sides in the same direction the piston travels. If there are scrapes, where are they and how deep (roughly)?<br /><br />You can get a new head gasket from Iboats or NAPA autoparts (Part Number 18-2951) or from your local Johnny/Rude dealer. <br /><br />How do the sealing surfaces on the head and block where the gasket blew look? Sometimes they get eroded where it burns through.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Zore,<br /> If the head gasket was blown out, then simply replace it. Make sure you properly torque the head bolts in a spiral sequence starting at the center two bolts. Somewhere here on Iboats, there was a diagram showing the sequence and I am pretty sure you'll find the torque spec, too.... Check the head for corroded or nicked areas along the compression ridge that may contribute to a future gasket blowout. The surfaces of the head and the motor block it mates to much be clean and flat. <br />- Scott

redfish guy

Cadet

NO scrapes at all smooth .they almost look new. so that means my engine is not blown. great but what whould you suggest me yo do to make it run good again thanks for your reply

Paul Moir

Admiral

Zore - Now that you know your engine isn't a lost cause, I would invest in a service manual if I were you at this point. You have at least two tasks ahead of you that requires it - bolting on the head, and replacing the water pump. Iboats sells the Seloc one, which isn't bad. The factory ones are better, but more expensive. You can buy them online:<br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br />The Seloc one is aimed at the Do-It-Yourselfer, but it covers so many models it can be very confusing. Plus there's some outright errors in it. If you want to get right at it, you may be able to borrow a service manual from the local library.<br />Buying a service manual is like buying $100 dollar bills for $10 each. Except you only get to do it when your engine breaks. :) <br /><br />That said, lets see if we can figure out what happened to the outboard in the mean time. I gather from what you wrote above that it was suddenly gaining and loosing power before it blew. Did this happen all of a sudden? Was the engine over-revving when it went high? Was this in gear or in neutral? Did you happen to notice if it was water or steam that was coming out of the big hole on the back of the engine at the time? <br /><br />The more you can tell us, the more help we can be.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you MUST check that head for warpage. I just surface them as a matter of course. carefully clean the block. I use a 3m pad on a drill, do NOT use a steel wire brush. after the head is resecured ya gotta find the cause for failure. usually a bad water pump on that engine. the pot metal housings ate up pretty quick so just order the complete kit from your local jonnyrude dealer.

redfish guy

Cadet

AT THE TIME IT HAPPEN IT WAS IN DRIVE.AND IT HAD A STREAM. THE THING IS I REALY DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.IT IS MY FIRST TIME.I GO TO SCHOOL FOR IT IN TWO WEEKS.I'LL PUT A GASKIT ON BOLT DOWN MY HEAD AND BUY A PUMP KIT FOR IT AND YES IT HAPPEN SUDDENLY.THEN WOULD NOT START BUT WOULD CRANK OVER .I HAVE NOT CHECKED MY GEAR OIL YET OR MY WATER PUMP DON'T KNOW HOW.BUT THE ENGINE WAS REVVING AS HIGH AS I'V EVER HEARD IT BEFOR IT DIED AND WAS SMOKING BAD.I TOOK OFF MY ENGIN TO FIX AND I DON'T KNOW TO REWIRE.BUT I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND BUY A BOOK OR RENT ONE.THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Paul Moir

Admiral

Don't just bolt down the head. It's got to be surfaced and checked for warp like rodbolt said. Also, you need to torque those bolts properly in the correct order or it's just going to blow again. That's why the manual is important - it shows you how to do all that stuff.<br /><br />If the engine reved up to scary RPMS and then quit never to restart again, then check for spark. I think there's a chance the flywheel key sheared, and if it did then engine will have a very weak spark or none at all. You do not need to have the head or the spark plugs in place to check for spark - just plug in a spark plug, lay it against the block and pull. <br />Now why the engine did that is another question. Start by putting the engine in gear and turning the propeller. Does the engine turn with the propeller? Or is it slipping?<br /><br />If you don't know for a fact that that water pump has been replaced in the last year or two, it's time to change it too. Again, the manual will show you how.

redfish guy

Cadet

I'LL GET A MANUAL FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING.HOW DO I CHECK IF IT IS WARPED OR NOT.WILL THE BOOK TELL ME?THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yes, but it's pretty simple. Basically you hold a strait-edge up against the sealing surfaces and hold it up to the light, or use a feeler gauge to determine the warp. It'll also be really obvious when you go to surface it, since that shows where the high spots are.

redfish guy

Cadet

First i'll buy a manual. Then i will check and see if the head is warped.When i was taking off the head i had a striped bolt,so i drilled the bolt out but i did not damage the head.But eany how next i'll tork my bolts and put head on correcly.Buy a water pump and put it on.I wonder if that is hard.I will make sure i check to see if i have a good spark.To make sure i don't have flywheel problems.I'm sure the manual will tell me how to do this correcly.Without you helping me Paul i whould think i had a blown motor THANKS I DO HAVE ANOTHER MOTOR IT IS A 87 JHONSON IF YOU KNOW SOMBODY INTERESTED LET ME KNOW BUT NEVER SEEN IT RUN,BUT HAS A ELECTRIC START. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP