33hp electric start

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if a starter motor from a old 60s-70s 40hp johnson super sea horse would fit my 1971 evinrude 33hp ski twin as i saw one on ebay and I am fed up getting gorilla arms pullstarting mine :D

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 33hp electric start

Yes it will. <br /><br />Make sure you've got all the stuff you need though. You need a flywheel that's got teeth on it. You also need a bracket that comes off the block and holds the starter. If it's one of the later "Prestolite" starters there will be an additional bracket for the bottom of it. You will need an outboard solenoid (explosion-proof), some wiring, and an ignition switch.<br /><br />If you want to go full-remotes, you'll also need an electric-choke carburetor.<br /><br />Those starters, brackets, etc, should be as common as dirt. Check out the local junkyards first. Usually at worst, they will need a new set of brushes.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

ta paul it has everything except a starter key including a full set of remotes for £50-60, the dealer quoted me £100 for a used starter only no bits and bobs at all

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

just an update won the auction £67 ($100) for at least £300 of parts only problem its 600 miles away!! time for a road trip!!