33 horse Johnson wont pump water

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
33 horse Johnson Model RDS-23, serial 2168710. I,ve pulled lower unit water pump is fine all water passages are open all water pipes are in the correct location and connected. Don,t know what to do next. Also any one know what year this thing is??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 33 horse Johnson wont pump water

Howdy, MurdockJr.<br /><br />RDS-23 is a 1961 40HP Johnson.<br /><br />What evidence tells you that: 1. It is not pumping water, and 2. Water pump is fine?<br /><br />Let us know. :)

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB: Cylinders and head too hot to touch after running for short period of time. No water peeing or spraying out of exaust, water pump impeller looks like new. I'm out of ideas had lower unit off three times. Cowl said 33hp must have been replaced, at least I know what I'm working on.

JB

Hmmm.<br />Have you confirmed that the key that locks the impeller to the driveshaft is in place and solid?<br /><br />Check also for the tube that carries water to the powerhead is being correctly fitted.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB: Yes the key is in place and solid, the tubes fit tight this is why I'm stumpped.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

May sound crazy, but do you have dirt dobbers in your area a buddy of mine nearly fryed his motor last year because of them, went though the same thing trying to figure out what was wrong it, we found the problem after two weekends of head scratching (There nest's are water proof) just a thought good luck with it :confused:

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What the heck are Dirt Dobbers never heard of them. Well I pulled lower unit off again, tomorrow I will get a new impeller and try again hoping this will fix it as my buddy doesn't want to spend alot of money. :confused:

JB

He is talking about mud dauber wasps, MurdockJr. <br /><br />They are common in the south but unknown in WI.<br /><br />They build concrete-like nests in small passages, and will play heck with telltales. :mad: We often cover all littles holes with masking tape to keep them out but gotta remember to pull the tape when needed. :eek:

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well got that new impeller in, pulled the thermostat out and fired it up, water shot out about 5inches shut it down and put everything back together. Fired it up again water came out exaust should be good to go just need to rebuild carb and put back on boat. :) :) :)