30hp johnson running very rich! HELP!

likearock

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 30hp johnson '91 model. it seems to always run very rich. if it idles for more than 3 or 4 minutes it loads up. there seems to be an excessive amount of oil or gas coming from the exhaust when idleing. i can see it come up out of the water. <br />things i have tried and checked:<br />1. kit for carb.<br />2. smaller low speed jet<br />3. new ignition coils<br />4. checked fuel pump diaphram<br />5. changed gas to ensure it was the right mixture<br />6. carb linkage<br />7. made sure all fuel lines were connected.<br />any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.<br />thanks likearock!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 30hp johnson running very rich! HELP!

What plugs? Is the primer leaking by? Is the low speed jet an air jet or fuel jet?

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi dhadley,<br /> the jet is an air jet. the plugs are QLl82C. i will test the primer by trying to bypass it. is this the best way to test it? the primer is the only other thing i haven't tried. thanks for the idea! i'll let you know how things go!<br /> thanks again, LIKEAROCK!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you went smaller on an air jet, you made the motor richer. To test the primer, just start the motor and pull the primer line off the carb and if it's spitting fuel, the diaphram is bad. Good choice on plugs. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just change the diaphram. 4 screws and real simple. And cheaper. I would. Good luck!

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi dhadley,<br /> the diaphram you are referring to is in the fuel pump or the primer itself?<br /> thanks, LIKEAROCK

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi dhadley,<br /> thanks for the tip on the jets. why didn't i think of that?!!! i tested the primer per your suggestion. there is two lines going from the primer to the intake.one above the carb. and one below. the one on the bottom was spitting like you said. i guess i need a new primer.that little thing is $60.00!ouch!thanks for the advice! your the man!<br />LIKEAROCK!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Right on top of the primer itself. Just be careful of those small hose barbs. They break real easy!

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi dhadley,<br /> i can't find a diaphram on top of my primer.there is nothing above the primer.anything else you can tell me?thanks for the help.likearock

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

On top of the primer itself. The 2 smaller hosea go into the cap or top cover. Take the two hoses off and then take tose 4 screws out. The top will come off. The diaphram is that brown piece of rubber. Thats what to replace. Let me know!

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi dhadley,<br /> i found the diaphram! i got confused because my perticular model has a outer snap ring and not the four screws you mentioned. i'll see if i can locate the diaphram at the local johnson dealer.<br /> thanks again, and thanks for being patient with me while you talked me through.i hope to return the favor.<br />LIKEAROCK