305 Merc. Neutral switch; I think its the cable.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all. Wow, I take a 2 year leave, and this site goes ALL OFFICIAL. :D

anyways, Ive got the In-laws into boating now, and they got their own boat with its own problems.
Its been sitting in a garage, out of the weather, for about a decade. and this thing is beautiful!! but, I think the sitting has caused some of the problems.

Its an '85 Mercruiser, chev 305 4-bbl. Theres only 2 problems with it, and I hope theyre related.
One is the Dying problem that happens every time it shifts into (either) gear. With ya'lls help, I went out and believe it is (one of) the shift cables. The Y-actuater is moving as the cable moves into gear, activating the safety switch, and killing the motor. So, That IS the cable, right??

The second is a little more tricky: moving the shifter into reverse, the motor throttles up, but it never goes into gear. Not even the clicking noises I could hope for. I would believe its out of adjustment, but they say it was working when it was parked, so Im not totally sure.
If it is also the cable(s) causing the problem: How hard is it to change??
any tricks or snags that would get me lynched by the in-law mob?

Im pretty competent on autos, but boats is hit-n-miss..
I have the guide in the adults section, and the paper book on mercruisers, but I find much difference between theory and practice, so I ask ya'll who have done this before.

Thanks much in advance,
Jon.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 305 Merc. Neutral switch; I think its the cable.

Yes, soundls like a bad lower shift cable causing it to die.

The second is a little more tricky: moving the shifter into reverse, the motor throttles up, but it never goes into gear.

After you get the new cable adjusted, I would bet this one cures itself also.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don, Thats really what I wanted to hear. Also, How hard is it to DIY? (well, DIM I guess.) :)

Is there any adjustments that would really mess up the outdrive? I'd be doing it on muffs, so theres no load. and I can understand the basics of whats goin on.. but I really dont want to mess up someone else's boat.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Take a look in the Mercruiser maintenance manual.

Bondo

Staff member

so Im going by best guess. Anyone have any (Bad)experience with this seller?? Seems good enough.

Ayuh,... That's the part,... But why not buy your parts from Our host, iboats,..??

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,... That's the part,... But why not buy your parts from Our host, iboats,..??

Yes! That is an excellent Idea. Ive been away from the Internet for a while, and trying to play catch-up with my www.etiquette