302 ring gear replacement

Jakem

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have removed my ring gear as it has wear and engine is already out. Does it matter in wich direction the new one goes on

alldodge

Staff member
Unless the ring is marked (have not seen one which is) F/R or other such marking, it doesn't matter

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have never replaced a ring gear you must heat it so that it will drop on the flywheel.

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have never replaced a ring gear you must heat it so that it will drop on the flywheel.
When I replaced my 351W starter ring, I put the flywheel in the freezer over night. Next morning I put the ring gear in the oven on its highest setting (500?) for an hour. When I dropped the ring gear on the flywheel I could spin it with my hand. 20 seconds later it was seized solid. Easy pesy.

Attachments

• Old Ring Gear.jpg
    Old Ring Gear.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Old vs New Ring Gear.jpg
    Old vs New Ring Gear.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 7

Jakem

Right o I will heat it up. I could also tack it just for good measure

kenny nunez

Captain
The register hole that centers the starter on Ford Marine/industrial engines is about 1/8” smaller than the same plate on automobiles. If an automobile starter is bolted on it distorts the plate and the starter drive gear does not engage the flywheel correctly which will destroy the ring gear.
You have to use the marine version. Check with a inside-outside caliper to compare the starter nose with the hole in the plate.

Jakem

It is a new marine starter but I will check before it all goes back together