30+ lb toddler type 2 vest?? Where?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2yo son who has been wearing a infant type 2, at his last dr visit he was 29.8lbs and the cutoff is 30lbs for an infant vest. I want to keep him in a neo vest because he complains about the nylon ones. Does anyone know where to get a toddler type 2 neoprene vest?

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 30+ lb toddler type 2 vest?? Where?

oldjeep - that's a type III vest, not type II

this site claims a neoprene type II: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1689/Sidekicks+Children%26%2339%3Bs+Vests

This claims to be type II but it doesn't look like one to me:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3114826

when i was that age, I wore the bulky orange type II and i had to like it :p

my son will probably hit 30 by next season so if you find a nice neoprene for that size that really is type II keep us posted :)

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

oldjeep - that's a type III vest, not type II

this site claims a neoprene type II: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1689/Sidekicks+Children%26%2339%3Bs+Vests

The mustang one is not comfortable on him for long periods (he does not like the thick foam ones)
The other one appears to be a type 3

This claims to be type II but it doesn't look like one to me:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3114826

when i was that age, I wore the bulky orange type II and i had to like it :p

my son will probably hit 30 by next season so if you find a nice neoprene for that size that really is type II keep us posted :)

The mustang one isnt neo and will be uncomfortable for long periods
the other one appears to be a type 3

oldjeep

Admiral

Ah, wasn't thinking about the big floppy collar type - never seen kids over infant size wear them. Isn't it going to be awfully hard for a toddler to sit in a seat with the big neck flap?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

he hasn't been overly bothered by it, the new one is fairly thin.
Here is the one he was wearing until now
IMG_0145.jpg

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

As far as I'm concerned there is a huge hole in the market for a Type II vest that is comfortable for a child between 30-50 lbs.

I learned last year that in Michigan it is a LAW that any child that is less than 6 years old needs to be in a Type II vest if on an open deck of a boat. Less than 6?

I have an almost 3 year old that is approaching 30 lbs. She is a currently in a Mustang Lil legend infant vest.

I also have a 5 year old that is approaching 45 lbs. She is currently in a really cheap West Marine Type II vest that looks to be very uncomfortable. She doesn't complain, in fact she likes it a lot because it is blue, her favorite color.

I am in need of at least one (probably 2) high quality Type II vest that will be comfortable for a child between 30 and 50 lbs.

Right now the only one I have considered is the Mustang Type II. While it is nylon, our experience with the Mustang brand has been really positive. They are far better in design and comfort than most. I still wish there was something with a neoprene shell.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as I'm concerned there is a huge hole in the market for a Type II vest that is comfortable for a child between 30-50 lbs.

Right now the only one I have considered is the Mustang Type II. While it is nylon, our experience with the Mustang brand has been really positive. They are far better in design and comfort than most. I still wish there was something with a neoprene shell.

Yeah, the mustang one is about the only one I have found that is 30+lbs and type 2. I dont know if it would be better to have him in the infant one for this season (he may be up to 32-33 by season end) or get a type 3 neo. I would go for the mustang, but sometimes we are on the boat for 12+hrs. and I feel like he would constantly be trying to take it off.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Is the issue with nylon the feel on the skin? Maybe get the kid a rash guard/UV protect swim shirt to go under the PFC?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

its the stiff/bulkiness of the foam pieces

rfjeff9

Recruit

I could have sworn I saw this type at bass pro shop last week. I was browsing for my own 2 year old at the time.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I really like the look of that Stohlquist, HOWEVER, there is no information on the manufacturers website on the COAST GUARD certifications. They only mention UL and ULC. That seems really odd to me.

On the shopatron site it states that it is TYPE III. With a USCG #. I guess that is good that they have it listed. However, as noted above there is a need for a Type II for a child 30-50 lbs.

Also, it says nothing about neoprene on the manufacturers website. It says "?Soft 200 denier oxford shell and liner". That seems like a description for nylon to me.

I won't speak for the OP, however, I appreciate any help finding a good option for a Type II for a child 30-50 lbs.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class