3 VS 4 blades newbie question

rhvi

Cadet
Hi all:

I am getting back into boating and would like some help. There has been some talk of 3 blade props being replaced with a 4 blade. What considerations need to taken into account when doing this upgrade, pitch and such. I intend to do some skiing, tubing and general cruising with a 160 Searay with a 100 hp (1989) merc or (Undecided) a 17 ft Chris Craft with a 115hp johnson (1999)

Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 VS 4 blades newbie question

There are many designs of both 3 and 4 blade props today. Some 4 blade props are designed to run deeper in the water, some are designed to run closer to the surface. Same with 3 blade props. Basically, there are "use specific" props.

I'd think that given your use requirements that a good 4 blade would do everything you need. But, one that's designed to run properly for your use and set up.

rhvi

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Will I gain any performance in my hole shot with the 4 blade at the same pitch?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Again, there's way more to it than that. If you're comparing the same design 3 blade to a 4 blade then most likely the answer is yes. If not set up properly some 4 blades will be slower getting out of the hole.

In your case you won't be looking for a performance type 4 blade like a Mazco HP4 or Turbo TXP. I've had real good performance for skiing from the Stiletto 2+2 X style props.

Stay in touch, I'll help you out once you get the boat and we get a baseline to work from.

Seadooman03

Seaman Apprentice

Also looking for some advice for the same use on a 4blade prop for 97 glastron 19.5, with a 4.3 (soon to be 4 barrel carb), volvo penta.

Any thoughts on a stilleto "bay pro II'' 14 1/2 with an 18" pitch?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Seedooman -- you just hijacked a thread which makes it difficult for everyone to follow the original posters question. I suggest you go to the very top of this forum and read the sticky titled READ THIS FIRST and then post a new thread. Be a little more specific about what you want this new prop to do (besides awesome hole shot, great economy, and blistering top end). Since you have no idea what the performance change will be after the mods you are planning, and since you gave us no existing performance data, or what issue you are trying to resolve, there is no way we can tell you what will happen.

Seadooman03

Seaman Apprentice

Seedooman -- you just hijacked a thread which makes it difficult for everyone to follow the original posters question. I suggest you go to the very top of this forum and read the sticky titled READ THIS FIRST and then post a new thread.

Already did that. I didn't want to start another thread regarding the same questions. The sticky at the top doesn't fill in the blanks as well. And i was looking for 1st hand experience if anyone has any about the specific prop, which I pointed out right there.

Any thoughts on a stilleto "bay pro II'' 14 1/2 with an 18" pitch?

Be a little more specific about what you want this new prop to do (besides awesome hole shot, great economy, and blistering top end).

I mentioned what i wanted to do. Pretty much looking for a decent prop that can tug a little.

Also looking for some advice for the same use on a 4blade prop

Since you have no idea what the performance change will be after the mods you are planning, and since you gave us no existing performance data, or what issue you are trying to resolve, there is no way we can tell you what will happen.

Well, i mentioned my current set up, here it is again below this statement. My upgraded carb maybe will add 30hp to the already existing 190, so it will total out at 220 +/- a few ponies. I don't have any current data due to the fact that i would like to set up my boat properly prior to playing the "try this first" game and find some results.

97 glastron 19.5, with a 4.3 (soon to be 4 barrel carb), volvo penta.

(besides awesome hole shot, great economy, and blistering top end).

Or was this your funny way of giving me the answer to my question :p

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Bay Pro II should be a good choice for a stern drive (fixed X dimension, not likely you'll be raising it). The Bay Pro II diameter is 14", the Bay Pro III is 14 1/4" diameter and is better suited for slightly higher X dimensions.