3-phase motors run on single phase.

petryshyn

Commander
Has anyone had any experience running 3 phase motors on single phase without a convertor?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3-phase motors run on single phase.

Hi, Schematic.<br /><br />I have vague recollection of devising a phase shifting package to demonstrate three phase operation vs. single and split phase operation. <br /> <br />That was years ago and if I do find it I am sure it required massive reactive devices and started with a two phase line.<br /><br />It wouldn't have been very practical. It was just a lab project.<br /><br />What brings up the question? :)

petryshyn

Commander

I am told that a three phase motor will run on single phase if you can get it started. Starting consists of installing a capacitor in series with one phase and removing it once up to speed. I am told that it will develope approx. 2/3 of the rated 3phase HP.<br /><br />I have a 5hp 3 phase motor. I need a 2hp single phase motor for a compressor. I'm wondering if the conversion will result in enough starting torque for a compressor..... :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Schematic.<br /><br />Hmmm. Theoretically it should work. <br /><br />I would give it a try with two paralleled caps like those used to start air conditioning compressors. Connect them in series with one winding. If you get reverse rotation, switch to another winding. I think they are typically 220 to 330 ufd and rated for 250 volts, min. Two of them would give you 440 to 660ufd and get closer to a 120degree phase shift.<br /><br />You could leave them in the circuit and get more torque or you could take them out with a centrifical switch, like so many induction motor appliances. <br /><br />You might have a problem with the management of counter EMF developed in the third phase winding. Whatever you do, don't short it out!<br /><br />If that doesn't work, we can cook up a gyrator with some triacs or SCRs.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

petryshyn

Commander

I'll go as far as implimenting a current relay and a starting cap. If that gives enough starting torque....fine. Ifin' it don't......I'll try trading her in at the local rewind shop for a 2hp single. I don't know the history of this used compressor, so I hate to invest to deeply until it proves itself!<br /><br />Thanx :)