3 month old Evinrude Ficht 150...2nd lower unit failure

slooke

Cadet
What gives here?? I bought this brand new and now I have to bring it back for a second lower unit. Anyone else experience this frustrating acurance? Wouldn't you know it...The first one went on our July Vacation, this time its our August Vacation. I am wishing I bought a boat with a Yamaha now! The dealer replaced the entire lower unit the first time. This time I have the same symptom, metal in the gear oil. I am about to call them and let them now whats up...Hope thay are as good to me as the first time.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 month old Evinrude Ficht 150...2nd lower unit failure

That's very unusual. How much metal in the oil? Small amounts of metal on the magnets is normal. Does it shift out of gear easily?What RPM is the motor idling at in neutral? What kind of control do you have?Does it shift into gear slowly (grinding noise) or pop in and out quickly? Have you checked the cables (I know they are new) for excessive backlash or streach?<br /><br />Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Change the gear oil and check again. Normally the small metal pieces are normal when an engine is brand new. Even new automobiles have sand residue in the crankcase from the casting. When the gears were machined by CNC a small imperfection may have been left. On the bright side it is under warranty and yes I understand your frustration. Keep letting the dealer know of the problem so there is a running record.<br /><br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Bob ;)

I went through three lower units on a set of 2000 225 Fichts last year. Sold the motors and put Yammies on this year.<br /><br />Bombadier admitted to the dealer I went to that OMC had switched suppliers for lower units in 2000 to save $$$$. The result was lower unit failures on 2000 motors went from something like 3% to 20%. Suppossedly Bombadier has switched back to the old supplier but I bet they still have a warehouse of crummy lower units. I know of two other boats that have blown lower units on Evinrudes (2000 models) this year.<br /><br />Kirk

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, Slooke & Reel-Time, what was the manufacturing date of those defective engines? I have a 2001 Johnson 150 that was manufactured in July, 2000. Just bought it new a couple of months ago, and haven't changed the lube yet. Lower unit sounds a little noisy to me, though.

Beernutz, <br /><br />Mine were Feb. 2000....not sure on the others. The feeling I got from the dealer was that all motors made after some date (not sure when that date was) had these new suppliers low units. I would encourage you to check your oil regularly. I changed mine every 30 hours and they still blew.<br /><br />Kirk

slooke

Cadet

I got the full scoop from my dealer. Anyone that has a new Evinrude/Johnson (not sure if its only the 150) has a major potential for failure. If the engine is over 20 hrs its automatically assumed that its the pinion gear. I guess all of these lower units all across the country are failing. The OMC manufacture for the units didn't harden the gear properly. The good new is that Bombardier is going to start production immediately on their own gears and lower units. My dealer couldn't tell me how long I would have to wait. he wasn't sure if they started production a week ago, or are starting in a week. I just hope I don't get another OMC. Bombardier has recognized the issue and is assuming responsibility. I was told that the Marine Industry is excited about Bombardiers move to make the units them selves. Bombardier makes Lear Jets to snow mobiles and do an excellent job on everything its involved with. Hopefully the next unit I get will be bullet proof.<br /><br />Good luck to all the Evinrude/Johnson owners on the water out there. I was lucky that both times mine went I was close to home. While running the engine normally I didn't hear much, but when running up the canal on the way to my marina I would here a knocking noise. That's about the only indication I had. Once in the harbor and running no wake it doesn't make the noise. I only heard it running between 2K and 3K RPM's. My dealer told me that a few people experienced complete lock up out on the water. Sea Tow to the rescue!<br /><br />Just pull the full level plug on the lower unit. Mine looked awful both times. :eek:

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx, guys. This is really good information. Not pleased that the situation exists, but appreciate knowing about it and not having to do the research myself if I encounter the problem. Sounds like you've got a really straight dealer, Slooke.<br /><br />My new motor runs perfectly, just a little more gear whine than I'm used to. I'll keep an ear out for the the fatal knocking sound. I hope Bombardier initiates a recall. Oughta be less costly to replace the pinions before they trash the whole works, not to mention the bad P.R. resulting from failures offshore.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier has indeed signed with a reliable vendor to produce the gears. The question is how long before they are available. I know it won't help on warranty issues but good gears are available to dealers now from Marine Parts Direct. We have been running them in some of the race boats and have had no failures even at 8000+ RPM.<br /><br />A word of caution -- there are a couple of very large distributors selling gears from overseas. They do indeed have a issue with hardening. <br /><br />Good luck!

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, changed the lower unit lube for the first time. Moderate collection of fine metallic dust on the magnets, but no obvious "gearburger". Maybe I got lucky. Will check it frequently, nevertheless.<br /><br />Thanx again for all the info.

FNG

Seaman Apprentice

FYI I got my boat back yesterday. I haven't had a chance to run it yet. But I got another OMC unit. I hope this one makes it through the rest of the season. :confused: