3 Dead cylinders no spark

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 35 evinrude I did a spark test and all 3 cylinders are dead on the right bank Cylinders 2,4,& 6. I was wondering if anybody knows how to test the power pack. I tested the timer base and that is fine. It also appears the volt meter is not going above 13 volts where as before it was around 15 or 16 while running. I wouldn't think all 3 coil packs would go bad at once. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 Dead cylinders no spark

I assume that's a six cylinder engine, so again I assume that you might have a 235hp engine, not a 35hp model. If so, switch the powerpacks. If the problem follows the pack, replace the pack.

Note: Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, Right is Starboard, Left is Port. The cylinders are numbered as follows.

Port..... Starboard

bmstang

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 3 Dead cylinders no spark

Yes Joe my mistake it is a 235 i didn't catch the 2 missing. I just swapped the power packs over and problem solved got spark so it was the power pack. Seems like this is the 2nd time on this side once with the previous owner i don't know if this is a coincidence or there might be some kind of short going on. Thanks