3 Carb questions

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1985 Evinrude 40 has two holes in the air silencer to adjust the low-speed needle valve is this common practice?

My engine only will stay running at idle and on muffs with a push every so often for the primer solenoid.

What's the best way to adjust the needle valve to the proper setting?

I recently purchased the engine and just found valves to be in the closed position. I tried to adjust them to keep the engine running, half turn at a time up to two turns counterclockwise but it didn't help.

I figure I'm looking at having to rebuild the carbs Whats the best manual for the job? And am I right?

I've installed a new fuel pump and there are no fuel leaks, everythings tight.

Fish from Shore

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3 Carb questions

Thanks I was just looking for this thread. I'll try the adjustment first. The needle valves were adjusted clockwise all the way in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm not so sure it has needle valves. Those may be plugs. Better check it out with the model number to see what it is.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wasn't so sure either what I understand is there are no high speed needle valves to adjust only low ones. I will recheck the model numbers again.

Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it's a 1985 there are no low speed needles. Those screw heads are plugs. The holes in the cover are for spraying fogging oil into each carb without having to remove the cover...
If the motor has set for awhile it will probably need the carbs removed, disassembled and cleaned.
- Scott

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks there are no adjustments on these carbs the valves are fixed i found out.

I took apart the carbs,cleaned everything with seafoam spray let it soak for a awhile everything looked good except for the Nozzle gasket on one which I replaced with a new one.The float valves looked new on both carbs.

Reinstalled the carbs and it started right up and purred. Then, after a few minutes of warm up and the warm up lever down,she died when I advanced the throttle a bit, just wanted to crack the throttle plates a bit.

(running on muffs)

New fuel pump,no fuel leaks, compression 135 on both,Good spark.

What next?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

First off you dont want to rev that motor over 1500 on the muffs, she'll run away on you quicker than your date on prom night ;) Still sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Were the fuel lines replaced with the pump? Anti syphon valve check out?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I'm carefull with the throttle.

I haven't done anything with the lines.Its been converted from VRO. I put a new fuel pump in. I did not replace the lines, The line from the fuel pump that runs to the manifold seems a little restricted (read as squished) but not too much. The top line from the manifold to the top carb also seems a little restricted.

Can you tell me more about the anti siphon valve?

When the engine dies I can hear a fluid gurgling sound that last about 10 seconds or so.

Thanks

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rebuilt the carbs and we were off and running Fast boat for its size.

15' Hobie Skiff 1985 Evinrude 40hp

Thanks for the Help everyone

Here Fishy Fishy:)