3 battery system, 2 DC and one starting

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
just picked up a 94 Skeeter and have a question about the batteries/ connections. Boat runs fine but I'm curious if I can wire it for better performance. 2 of the batteries are deep cycle and are wired to get 24V. The 3rd is my starting battery. As of now just my trolling motor is hooked to the two DC batteries and EVERYTHING else is hooked to the starting battery. I checked them with my volt meter and saw that if I just hit the + and - on one of the DC batteries I get only 12v. Can I use just one of them for my depth finders? Or do 1 depth finder to one battery and the 2nd to the other? I don't have space for a 4th battery or I would just get another one for my electronics. I've been on the water a few times and haven't had any problems yet so I'm just curious if I can wire it it differently.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Yes -- you can use just one of the troller batteries to power 12 volt stuff. But be very careful WHICH of the two batteries you choose. It is best to use the battery that has the 24 volt NEGATIVE wire attached to it. Should you use the other battery you run into a potential grounding issue that would fry any 12 volt accessory attached to that battery. That same scenario can happen with an inadvertent POSITIVE side connection but it is less likely in my view. But unless you have a high power stereo or other high power draw devices on board, why bother since you have not had an issue. Should you ever run down the starting battery, swap in one of the troller batteries or carry a set of jumper cables.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
Thanks, I'm only curious because I have my trim, starter, bilge, lights, aerator and 2 depth finders all running of of my starting battery. If I could at least get my DF's on a deep cycle battery I would feel a lot better.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Your locator uses very little power so again, not worth the effort. Besides, it probably has a volt reading capability which can have a low voltage set point established. It would beep if voltage reaches that set point. That allows you to shut it off and still start the engine.