3.9 Merc Running problems

Hey there. I have a 3.9 hp merc. The serial # 2375578. The engine will start and run for about a min and then it will die. It just goes burrrrr stop. You can start it back up does the same thing. I have tore the carb apart cleaned it. Changed the fuel line it had a crack. I changed the crankcase hose going to the fuel pump. It does the same exact thing. I have tried choking it when it is gonna die i have tried pumping the bulb and still a lost cause. Any help would gladly be appriciated. Thanks

Re: 3.9 Merc Running problems

Thanks for the help guys. Im a ford mechanic by cracky(Steve Irwin). I will figure it out myself. It shouldnt be such a problem except it is a mercury. They have been known to be quite trashy. Thanks and take care all.

NathanY

Commander

Have you checked to see if your fuel pump is pumping? Also if memory serves, some of those motors came with a downflow tank as well as hook up for remote, if so, does it run off of the downflow?

The engine has a remote tank. I have tore that carb apart and still no results. It will run for like 45 seconds and then it just dies. Then you pull the rope and fires right up and then dies.<br />I have changed all the hoses and then put a new needle and seat and completely tore the carb cleaned it all and still runs and then just dies. thanks Robert