3.8l Convert?

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a winter project, or not.<br /><br />Is it possible to convert my 1984 3.8l 4bbl carb V6 (OMC) to fuel injected?<br /><br />And is the cost worth it?<br /><br />Lookin at all the pro's and cons B4 going forward.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.8l Convert?

ANYTHING is Possible,............ If you Throw Enough Money at it............<br /><br />"And is the cost worth it?"<br /><br />I can't feature that it'll Ever, Pay for Itself........

markvictor

Seaman

Pvisser,<br />yeah, it's possible, but why? You can do an aftermarket for under a grand, lots more for a stock setup..and you are taking something you can fix on the fly with simple hand tools and a little knowledge to something that can leave you dead in the water with no options but a towboat after the simplest electronic glitch..I'm not saying that they are unreliable, but when they fail, they fail hard...<br />Regards,<br />markvictor<br />(No links allowed)

whywhyzed

Banned

I'd be interested in your 4BBL setup if you do it...<br />hystat@hotmail....

KaGee

Admiral

Seeing how it is computer controlled, I don't see how you could do it in any way that makes economic sense. You'd be ahead to buy a used 4.3 MPI and adapt it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Don't waste your time. Will FI get better economy? Yes, but not enough to make much of a difference. Will it make more power? Possibly, but probably not. The throttle will be a little snappier but any max HP gains will likely be less then 5hp and you will not notice that in a boat. If you are looking for an improvement, get a good intake manifold and a "hotter" camshaft. You will spend half the money and get a power increase that you WILL notice.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So... NOT a winter project after all..<br /><br />Thanks for the input..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't go looking for a "Hot" cam for a 3.8 either. It has to be one that will work in the Marine applications. Not some street and stip cam out of a Hot Rod magazine. You're going to need about 20 HP to gain one or two MPH....... Is that worth it?<br />After all the upgrades to the engine, you are still pushing the power through an old OMC stringer drive.

4.3sunbird

Seaman

I take it by 3.8 L you have a buick v6? <br />distribitor in the front ?<br /><br />If so it wouldnt be too hard to inject it just time consuming and really not much to gain in a boat<br /><br /><br />If you do have the buick v6 and want more power I could hook you right up <br /><br />you could also go with a 4.1 L block and add a few cubes <br /><br />I wish mine had a buick v6 v/s this 4.3 chevy v6 since I have a shop full of goodies for the buicks <br /><br />the v8 boaters would really hate me then <br /> :D

4.3sunbird

Seaman

thats wierd since buick sold the rights to their v6 to jeep back in the 60's and didnt buy the rights back to it till like 75 <br /><br />so I guess they were jeep powered :confused:

whywhyzed

Banned

The Kaiser V6 as some OMC literature stated. Was Kaiser Jeep's engine division? <br /><br />1972 actually was the last Buick in an OMC according to my manuals.. not 74 as i thought.<br /><br />In 1967 and 1968 ,OMC used the Buick 300 V8 as well.<br /><br />Ford Cortinas 1600cc's and Buick V8's - those were weird times at OMC

4.3sunbird

Seaman

heres the scoop on the v6:<br /><br /><br />The Buick Two Hundred and Twenty Five Cubic Inch, odd-fire (1-6-5-4-3-2), V6 engine was purchased from GM by Kaiser Jeep Corporation in 1965 and used in CJ's (CJ5's and CJ6's) until 1971. Buick purchased the engine back from AMC in 1974. The Buick V6 after 1974 came in both an odd-fire 231 cubic inch engine (until mid 1977) and an even-fire 231 (after mid 1977).<br /> :cool: