3/4 of an inch of snow and the morons are out in force!!!

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
What a debacle today in Raleigh NC...<br /><br />Closed school early so EVERYONE hit the road. People going sideways down the hills and up the hills.<br /><br />People going fast DOWN the hill and SLOW up the hill!!<br /><br />5 miles took 2 hours!!<br /><br />I saw people driving on lawns to get traction going up hills.<br /><br />I did not know wether or not to have the morns in front of me so i could avoid them OR behind me so that I was past them..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3/4 of an inch of snow and the morons are out in force!!!

Yea tomato, was out in it all night till about noon and saw all kinds of, errrrrrrrrrr, drivers.<br />We got about 2 inches and some fell and froze and then more on top of it and it was real fun, to say the least.<br /><br />I love my awd. :D

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I understand what both of you are talking about. Being from Ontario, the drivers just don't get it to begin with. Add precipitation, even rain, and it seems like people forget how to drive. It snowed a few inches last night, and even though i know some back routes to my school in toronto, it still took me twice as long. I just wish that instead of trying to go really fast and ending up around a light standard, people would just slow down 10 km/h, and everything would just be fine. oh well, its the idiots that make life interesting i guess.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I spent all day monday and tuesday plowing snow from a storm. The morons were out in full force....

Homerr

Commander

Yep... same thing happens here when some of the Californians come up here in their SUV's and think they are invincible. :) <br /><br />They act like they've never seen snow or ice before and think they can drive normally in it.<br /><br />I like to stay WAY behind these would-be-masters of the road... that way I can charge them for pulling their car out of the ditch! :) <br /><br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We never had aproblem with the old rear wheel drive cars. You couldn't get going too fast if it was slippery.<br />Now with fwd-awd-4wd, people go way too fast. And the younger drivers never get to learn proper snowy road driving techniques.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Any of you guys around Green Bay ever see that big training place they have up there that is about the size of a football field?<br /><br />Lot's of police go there to train on how to drive.<br />It's surface is made of teflon and they spray water on it and it gets real slick.<br /><br />I spent New Years there once training in a tractor trailer. They sprayed it down and it froze.<br /><br />Talking about fun.<br />They put you into slides on purpose so you can learn how to get out of them. It was a trip for sure.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /><br />Talking about fun.<br />They put you into slides on purpose so you can learn how to get out of them. It was a trip for sure. <br /><br />Hey Spinner we did that in muddy fields growing up. We called it "Short Track Training". It still comes in handy with these periods of snow.

NYMINUTE

Captain

fahr09.gif
<br />I'm a native of Buffalo, NY. SNOW!!!!!!!!!Those dorks have no bloody idea what SNOW is. In a typical winter the roads get so slick that they open the schools earlier because the buses slide, and they get there faster! Heeeheeee.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In 'Jersey we get snow every winter. Every winter you think half the population forgot how to drive in the snow since last winter. <br /><br />My big ol' rear wheel drive Town Car does just fine in the snow. Drop in 120 - 160 LBS of weight (I use rock salt for my water softener) in combo with the posi rear and it goes no problem. Often pass those silly FWD cars stuck while going up hills. <br /><br />Just drive moderatly and plan your drive approach a few hundred feet in advance. <br /><br />Mark

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with NYMINUTE... My wife is from Buffalo (I was stationed there back in the early 80's in the USCG). Man, talk about snow. You all have never seen snow - until you see Buffalo snow! :eek: <br /><br />You should have seen Richmond, VA yesterday. What a riot! 1" of snow and everyone just totally freaked! It took me an hour and 45 minutes to get home yesterday! Geez!!!! :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I was in Atlanta a few years ago and they got 2" of snow and it darn near shut the city down! :rolleyes: I was tryin to buy gas, but the gas stations couldn't open due to the snow :eek: Oh well I guess each clime has it's own set of problems. I know some Canadiens who live north of Lake Superior who get a big kick out of us Mich folks for having problems with just 2 feet of fresh snow! :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

You know when the snow is deep when you can step off your roof and you don't know it. Uh, where's da door?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

SBN, believe you are talking about a facility that was built by Schneider National trucking co. Seen it on film, not in person.<br /><br /><br />Hey SS, how'd you get on the roof without noticing the snow????

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> SBN, believe you are talking about a facility that was built by Schneider National trucking co. Seen it on film, not in person.
Yep roscoe, that's who owns it.<br />I had leased on to them for their specialized division and went there for the orientation.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm not sure roscoe, maybe we need to ask someone from Buffalo? I always hear that when the snow is in the foot range deep, people have to keep the snow off the roof. Something about too much weight. <br /><br />All I know is that I never want to be in a situation like that. Get ready for this weekend. 6" to 12" is called for. Still have 4" on the ground.

D

DJ

Any body ever seen snow tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car?<br /><br />How do you "delicately" tell them they are an idiot?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Any body ever seen snow tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car?<br /><br />How do you "delicately" tell them they are an idiot?
If I am not mistaken DJ, that would be correct.<br />The snow tires are designed with "snipes" in them (lots of little slits that open up) and are of a softer rubber compound. This allows them to spread out and get more surface area on the ground for traction. i.e. braking.<br /><br />AK Chappy

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Personally, I'd suggest a blow-horn while they are getting into their car at the mall, but then again, I have a low tolerance for stupid people. Personally, I would, and do go with snow tires whole way around...but oh well, no crime in being an idiot...unfortunately...and all i know, is i'm not lookin forward to tomorrow...aparently, we here in Halton, along with niagara and hamilton have a whack of snow coming our way tonight...man i hate shovelling...well, let the idiots on the road, its snow time again...

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And SS Mayfloat, the problem with too much weight on the roof depends on the slope of the roof. if you have a steeper incline, the snow just kinda slides off...makes for one hell of a good show when someone slams their door...and you thought that only happened in movies...if the roof is not sloped enough, then you see the poor suckers up there shovelling their roof. i hate shovelling the driveway let alone the roof...yes, i have a steep incline for my roof...one less thing to worry about.