3.0L mercruiser

saaabe

Seaman
Hello, I like to Know how good/reliable are the 3.0L 181ci mercruiser engines

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: 3.0L mercruiser

They have been in continuous production for 50 years. More sold than any other model. Still no end in sight. NUff said?

saaabe

Seaman

am buying a 2007 searey with a new 2010 3.0L only 5 hours on it the original engine one of the piston burn check the pic. owner drop in a new one and has warranty until 2014 still the pic. of the first engine has me scare

Attachments

• DSC04237.jpg
    DSC04237.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

kellmike626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 3.0L runs excellent. If every 3.0L engine started to fail within 3-4 seasons of run time, I don't think they'd manufacture them anymore. :D
One thing I wonder..was the engine replaced under warranty?

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

am buying a 2007 searey with a new 2010 3.0L only 5 hours on it the original engine one of the piston burn check the pic. owner drop in a new one and has warranty until 2014 still the pic. of the first engine has me scare

5 hours on that motor?

illin

Recruit

5 hours on that motor?

Agreed...are those like human hours???

I would seriously call into question anything coming from someone claiming that motor has 5 hours on it.

illin

Recruit

And FWIW, I specifically chose the 3.0L for our application because of its stellar record (we have a 2002 flavor). Zero issues...runs like a top and is way more than enough power for our 18 footer.

I really like that I can run the boat all day long at 2500 rpms...make good time across the lake and still be able to carry on a conversation in the boat. All the while burning next to nothing for gas.

Working on them is SO easy as you can almost get down next to the motor. Great design on the newer version for easy maintenance.

That being said...I would demand to see that the repair was done by a reputable mechanic. Even then...I would probably stay away. Too many good clean boats with no motor issues on the cheap.

saaabe

Seaman

yes the warranty took care off !

My 3.0L runs excellent. If every 3.0L engine started to fail within 3-4 seasons of run time, I don't think they'd manufacture them anymore. :D
One thing I wonder..was the engine replaced under warranty?

saaabe

Seaman

five hours on the new motor the mechanic run it for five hours. he say to make sure is all good before installing it . I have no idea why he did this !!!

5 hours on that motor?

saaabe

Seaman

I saw the new engine in the package it came on and also saw it running before it was install..

Agreed...are those like human hours???

I would seriously call into question anything coming from someone claiming that motor has 5 hours on it.

saaabe

Seaman

no repairs were made to the original engine a new from mercury was install last friday and I saw all going down at the time of installation. the thin is are this engine realy good or I will have some thin like what happen to the original engine happening to the new too???

And FWIW, I specifically chose the 3.0L for our application because of its stellar record (we have a 2002 flavor). Zero issues...runs like a top and is way more than enough power for our 18 footer.

I really like that I can run the boat all day long at 2500 rpms...make good time across the lake and still be able to carry on a conversation in the boat. All the while burning next to nothing for gas.

Working on them is SO easy as you can almost get down next to the motor. Great design on the newer version for easy maintenance.

That being said...I would demand to see that the repair was done by a reputable mechanic. Even then...I would probably stay away. Too many good clean boats with no motor issues on the cheap.

saaabe

Seaman

Am sorry I didn't specify the boat got a new engine from mercury the old engine didn't got repair I go replace !!! but my question was if this engines are really good???

illin

Recruit

Am sorry I didn't specify the boat got a new engine from mercury the old engine didn't got repair I go replace !!! but my question was if this engines are really good???

Very much so...in fact...you can put them up very high on the list of all time trouble free marine motors.