3.0L mercruiser flushing

saaabe

Seaman
hello, does any one know if the engine needs to be drain from water every time it gets flush. I have a 3.0 mercruiser with 2 drain hoses one for the manifold and one for the engine block every time I flush the engine I unplug this two hoses and the engine water drains out complete I don't know if this is the right way to do this ???

in the pic there are the hoses

Attachments

• mercruiser.jpg
    mercruiser.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3.0L mercruiser flushing

My method is I flush the engine out no matter hat type of water I was running on. But it i a must to flush it if you were running in salt water.

As for draining the block and manifold. If it was that easy for me to empty the block every time I ran it, I would drain it. It wont hurt anything...

saaabe

Seaman

hello, Alpheus; my concern is does the engine rust faster with water on it or with out ??

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Your over thinking this. If you flush it out with tap water you can leave the water in. Most everybody else does until its time to winterize. Like I said if it were mine and it was that easy for me to drain the block I would do it. If its nice and dry inside should keep the rust to a minimum...

cr2k

Captain

But you must drain for winterization or risk a cracked block/manifold.

saaabe

Seaman

thank guys for the advice, the thing about winterize in Miami FL we do not have to much winter and sure no freezing I flush every time with fresh water and I run the engine once every two weeks. but I do take all the water out every time I flush it. I do not get to use the boat a lot do to work schedule but I do take care of it specially now that I got new engine on it.
Thank You for your clarification is nice to have friend that know.:)