3.0L/140 Electronic Conversion & voltage

middle_road

Cadet
Hey all, need some assistance with the electrical system/voltages after doing a conversion with a Mallory E-Spark.

- Motor: 1985 3.0L/140 (s/n 6920545) Delco Remy Distributor.
- Alternator is a Prestolite and the wiring does NOT match the service manual.
There is a large gauge Orange connected, and a 16ga Purple and that is all.
There is a large gauge Red taped off near it though.
I can't find a Purple/Red as shown in the manual nor a black ground.

- E-Spark #9-26900
- Accel Super Stock Coil #8140

Some background, the connectors inside the Rubber Boot failed on the main Red & the Ground last year, so I spliced
around the boot connection.

Kept having problems with the points & condenser so I opted to do a conversion. Dang condenser was always losing it's
ground despite lockwashers, loctite, new parts, ETC. (condensers never have liked me much...)

Installed the new plate, hooked up the wiring as noted on the box, and viola! she fired right up.
I was totally surprised to say the least.

My confusion comes in with the voltage at the (+) side of the coil and the purple/yellow on the solenoid.
It came up at 4.6v
This seems to cause the choke to not function.
So today I grabbed a 1.35ohm ballast resistor at Napa and installed it thus:
Sliced into the purple wire coming from the IGN switch just before the Rubber Boot. (the resistance wire is taped off and insulated.)
From that splice I ran a wire to the Ballast resistor, so at that connection on the ballast I have Purple, Purple/Yellow to solenoid, and the Red wire from the E-Spark module.
On the outbound from the ballast to the (+) side of the coil, new 16ga wire.

With the key 'ON' she's showing 10v on the incoming post of the ballast, 10v at choke, 5.7v on the out post of the ballast, and 5.6v on the (+) of the coil.
With her running, she shows the same.

*EDIT* With the green wire from the module disconnected from the (-) post of the coil all return to 12v.
` Tested the module and it passed.

Is this correct? I thought the (+) of the coil and the purple/yellow at the solenoid required 12v...
Is the 5.7v enough to provide proper spark?
Do I have to wire the choke for 12v?

TIA,
_mr

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.0L/140 Electronic Conversion & voltage

read the wiring more closely, 12v is supplied to the electric choke first and from the choke is resistance wire to the coil.
Try not to go cutting up anymore wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

middle_road

Cadet

read the wiring more closely, 12v is supplied to the electric choke first and from the choke is resistance wire to the coil.
Try not to go cutting up anymore wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The diagram I'm reading from the merc manual shows it 'teeing' off to the resistance wire before the choke.
There is only one wire going into the choke. 4-5v does not seem to be enough to engage the choke...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

red wire from starter thru breaker becomes red/purple. goes up to dash thru ign switch and leaves as purple.
thru harness to engine,then a 4 way splice, one to choke, one to alt, one with resistance wire to coil.

middle_road

Cadet

Update: we've had her out six times now since the conversion and she's running great.
Fires right up every time, I'm very pleased and rather happy. Also had an increase of
RPMs (200-300) at WOT, which really surprised the heck out of me.
The voltage is still low at the coil and the electric choke doesn't function 100% yet she starts.
Pretolite/Mallory/Accel tech support was worthless, only reply I receive was to use the $90 mallory coil.
Wish I had done this earlier...

_mr