3.0 Quicksilver manifold gasket goes on dry? 25 ftlbs on bolts

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have searched and I am pretty sure dry is the answer.. I am just hoping to confirm.
It is the grey colored and coated looking style..kind of like the felpro exhaust manifold gaskets ..
Thanks so much

wynn456

Recruit
Re: 3.0 Quicksilver manifold gasket goes on dry? 25 ftlbs on bolts

i put mine on dry no leaks and i have been running it all season. the torque on the bolts is different from the inside to the outside. cant remember i think the outside ones were 17 or 18 ft lbs and the inside one's were 25. if you have a seloc manual the specs are in the book along with torque sequence.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

From the Mercruiser service manual:

If exhaust manifold body requires replacement, transfer all parts (from old manifold) to new
manifold body.
1. Position new gasket on head and install manifold in position, making sure gasket is in
place.
2. Tighten fasteners evenly and torque to 23 lb-ft (33 Nm), starting in center and working
out toward ends.
IMPORTANT: After engine has been brought up to operating temperature, allow
engine to cool. Retorque manifold fasteners.
3. Install carburetor (if removed) and connect crankcase ventilation hose at rocker arm
cover.
4. Install exhaust elbow using new gasket. Torque to 25 lb-ft (34 Nm).

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I always smear a lil gasket sealant on the head side. The Merc manual doesn't specify to do so.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only thing I can find in the seloc is the 22ftlbs alternating outward from center...then in the back I believe it lists 20-25.. still looking.
Thanks a bunch gang

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always smear a lil gasket sealant on the head side. The Merc manual doesn't specify to do so.

If you use gasket sealer on the intake, use something like Permatex Aviator's gasket sealer or Permatex Hitack spray.
Lots of modern intake gaskets use no extra sealer, as they have a "bead" of sealer on them from the factory. If you use silicone near the intake port runners, it is proven that the fuel will disolve the silicone and possibley cause a vacuum leak. Silicone should only be used around oil and water ports, if needed at all. I usually use just a dollop of silicone in the corners of V-6 and V-8 manifolds where the head meets the block, it stop the usual oil seepage there.