3.0 Push Rod Cover Replacement Question

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 3.0 mercruiser serial #L374668. The push rod cover has started to leak oil so I ordered myself a new one with the gasket and worked on the replacement this last weekend. The boat has been sitting since because I did not have the distributor gasket to re-install the distributor with. I'm waiting on the gasket to arrive and I started thinking about the lack of oil around the push rods after my minor replacement job. The old gasket was stuck to the block and had to be scraped clean. I cleaned everything for the new gasket and just installed the new one with the cover. My question is about the oil. I drained the oil from the engine in order to do an oil change after the cover replacement. When I add the oil to the engine will some make its way to this now dry push rod or should I have added some to the area before the new cover was installed. I just don't want to start the engine with the rod's dry.

I'm sorry if this is a tuff read my experience is extremely limited and I am just trying to do the maintence on this boat myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 3.0 Push Rod Cover Replacement Question

the oil pump will circulate oil to where it is supposed to go. since you did not pull the pushrods and lifters out, there will still be an oil film on the lifter cups and rockers. the cavity on the block is not a sump, however an access panel (like a side mounted valve cover)

you could always keep the coil wire off and crank for 15 seconds to develop oil pressure.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Install the gasket, start the boat...it'll be fine. Just don't overtorque the bolts, those covers are pretty thin and will crack if they're overtightened.

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys, that is the information I was hoping to get.