3.0 OMC i/o *need help*

I bought a 1989 19' bowrider with a galvanized trailor for 500 bucks, the hull is in great shape. BUT the 3.0 OMC i/o head is cracked i believe. The lower unit and tilt works perfect and is in great shape. I see that a whole new sterndrive engine is only 1,800. But i was wondering if anyone has any advice, should i buy a rebuilt head, rebuild mine, and keep my lower unit and upper drive assembly, or what? any advice? If so, any good websites? thanks a bunch.

Josh

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: 3.0 OMC i/o *need help*

A 19 inch long boat?
Take an ice pick and stab at the floor, transom and everywhere else there's probably rotting plywood. Crank your head upside down under the intake/exhaust manifold and look for cracks in the block with the brightest flashlight you can find. Check along the bottom of the manifold for cracks too.
You have driven the boat I would assume as you say the lower unit works fine - how much water in the engine oil? I've worked on quite a few 3.0's - never seen a cracked head - probably freeze cracked BLOCK from not being winterized. We'll hope I'm wrong, but expect the worst.
Pull the engine if it's cracked and pull the drive out and dig at the transom around the cutout. Drain all 3 outdrive oil compartments and look for metal in the oil.
A 19' boat with a 3.0 is quite underpowered but make no decisions until you find out the condition of the rest of it.

jamyers

Cadet

Why do you think the head is cracked?

*If* it is, a replacement head is the way to go, unless you want to replace the rest of the engine (worn rings or bearings).

Well, no i haven't drove the boat, but one of my mechanics said the lower unit, and upper drive assembly is in fine condition. But I just got it back to my house today, and i pulled the dipstick and its as milky as can be. I'm going to start working on it tonight. I'll let you know what the turnout is, thanks for the quick response. I will keep you updated.

jamyers

Cadet

...i pulled the dipstick and its as milky as can be. I'm going to start working on it tonight. I'll let you know what the turnout is, thanks for the quick response. I will keep you updated.

Milky oil is from water, no doubt. But it could have come from just about anywhere, including severe condensation / rain...

I think I'd change the oil / filter, then run it up to temp for at least 20 minutes to see what happens. If you're lucky, it'll boil out and stay clean.

whywhyzed

Banned

There's a practical way to go as well if multiple problems are found- which is sell the outdrive for $500 and push the boat in the landfill and call it a free trailer.
I'd be surprised if the block isn't freeze cracked. You'd be the first iboats poster this year out of about 25 with milky 3.0's where it was something else.

drained the oil and about a quart of oil came out before the ugly milky oil began to pour out. i havent looked for cracks, or began working on it yet. but ive already looked into buying a new block/rebuilt block. and the only price im looking at is around 2,500. ive been told i can spend half that to buy one, but everywhere im looking, its around 2,500. anyone know any better places?