3.0 Mercruiser - Two concerns

cheejudo

Seaman
I have a 2000 3.0L mercruiser, it runs fine but I have a couple concerns

1. It takes a few minutes for me to start the engine, it just doesn't turn over i have to hold it for 10-15 seconds about 4 or 5 times for it to start, it starts up nice and fast after its warme dup though.

2. When its not warmed up, the motor seems like it shakes pretty good, is this normal?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser - Two concerns

Ayuh,... Sounds like a Full Tune Up, 'n Service might fix both problems...

dubs283

Vice Admiral

first off, are you pumping the throttle upon cold start??

yes they do shake when cold, but after a minute or so at off idle speed with the choke open they calm down and smooth out

a tune-up is never a bad idea too

cheejudo

Seaman

i cant give it gas while i start because the motor only starts in neutral

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i cant give it gas while i start because the motor only starts in neutral

That is why all single lever controls are designed with a throttle only button. In neutral, Push the button in the center of the shift handle in and move the lever forward. That is throttle only. When you move back to neutral it will click back into the shifter again.

Might want to have a look at this owners manual. It explains the starting procedures and the throttle only button with pictures.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Owner/owncov.pdf

fishrdan

Admiral

Also, during warm up, bump the throttle up to 1000-1200RPM for a minute or 2 to get the engine warmed up, then drop it back to idle. I usually let the engine warm up while I'm parking the truck, but I launch where thieves are not around, pretty isolated launch ramp.