3.0 Mercruiser stalls at neutral

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for help again...

99 3.0 mercruiser #L374668 in a 99 Bayliner

I recently did some "tinkering" because the push rod cover was leaking oil. I replaced the cover and gasket and removed and re-installed the distributor to do the work. I have also changed the oil, fuel filters and spark plugs. I felt like I got the distributor re-installed without moving anything but now the boat will not run in neutral. It will start up just fine and run with the throttle just past neutral but the second I pull the throttle back to neutral the engine immediately dies. Feels almost like it is starved for fuel. Before my tinkering it would start and run just fine in neutral.

I also replaced the lower shift cable about two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't notice the kill switch activating when I pull to neutral and I am only on muffs in the driveway, not under any load. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser stalls at neutral

Yes, adjusted from AChris' video! I've done a water test since that work and the cable worked great.

Bondo

Staff member

Looking for help again...

99 3.0 mercruiser #L374668 in a 99 Bayliner

I recently did some "tinkering" because the push rod cover was leaking oil. I replaced the cover and gasket and removed and re-installed the distributor to do the work. I have also changed the oil, fuel filters and spark plugs. I felt like I got the distributor re-installed without moving anything but now the boat will not run in neutral. It will start up just fine and run with the throttle just past neutral but the second I pull the throttle back to neutral the engine immediately dies. Feels almost like it is starved for fuel. Before my tinkering it would start and run just fine in neutral.

I also replaced the lower shift cable about two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't notice the kill switch activating when I pull to neutral and I am only on muffs in the driveway, not under any load. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Ayuh,.... My guess is, the timing is Off,... Especially if ya didn't retime the distributer, After ya put it back in...

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bond-o, you were exactly correct.

I timed the distributor this morning by manually turning the engine. Once that was done it would idle rough. Then proceeded by using the light and it seems to be good to go. Plan on taking a quick run tomorrow to check it over. Your the man:), thanks for the help!

Ryan