3.0 Mercruiser dead

Fleefish

Recruit
I have 1999 Regal LSR with a 3.0 mercruiser. I have a dead spot in the throttle which I have assumed is the accelerator pump in the carb and am currently rebuilding. I have done some searching here and found that seems to be the most common problem. There is another issue that I have not come across in these forums, in that, when the engine is running I can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak from the engine. I cannot really pinpoint where the noise is coming from but it appears to be from the manifold side of engine. Heres the scenario, out on the water and go to throttle up and around 1300 to 1800 rpm the engine bogs and would likely stall. Add a bit more throttle and it would kick in and get up to around 3500 rpm and then drop in speed and RPM to almost stalling. As long as I keep the throttle below those points, it runs fine but only gets up to about 15 MPH. Also at the same time noticed exhaust leak type noise. When this scenario was happening the engine temp guage would drop significantly. Normally runs about 170, 180 degrees but gets down to about 140. Engine feels hot but the manifold is ice cold. I know it's alot of info but does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on rebuilding the carb and replacing the impeller for the raw water pump. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser dead

Engine temp sounds high, my 3.0 only runs 125-140 tops. You may have a stuck t-stat, however if it were me I would do an engine flush. Flushing the block and all the hoses to make sure there is no blockage, rust scale can buildup and cause partial blockages. As far as the exhaust sound/leak, when you get it running leave the motor housing off and look...see if there are any leaks into the bilge area, check for leaks around the big rubber donut connecting your exhaust from the riser. Also check to see if your exhaust shutters are in place as these can give the sound of a leak if they are missing. Hope some of this helps get you in the right direction, good luck!

Airshot