3.0 Mercruiser 140 Block

srkelly

Cadet
Hello everyone!
First time post here so bare with me. I am a proud owner of a 1985 Sea Ray 250 Cuddy. I bought her (Dixie Belle) 3 years ago and have spent countless hours and a considerable amount of money putting her in the shape she deserves. All in all it was a very enjoyable experience and she looks great now. With the Sea Ray ressurection drawing to a close I found I missed working on her. Now here is the part that is going to be hard to believe... My Wife suggested that I look around and find something else to tinker with over the coming winter, as she said, "something smaller and easier to launch" (she cannot back a trailer, nor drive a boat)
So with that said and more importantly her approval I found a 1984 4 winns 17' 170 with an inboard Merc 3.0 140, the previous owner replaced all the interior and it came with a nice trailer, great hull, glass, etc., etc. all for $800.00. The seller stated the lower unit is in great shape but the engine has water in the oil (carrot & stick kinda thing) I knew going in there was the possibility of having to replace the engine due to a crank block at worst or a blown head gasket/cracked head if I am lucky... Well lady luck kicked my Arky tail to the curb, CRACKED BLOCK. My question is where is a good source for a block that will clean up at 0.30 or are there any automotive applications that will work. Please forgive my lack of 4 cyl knowledge as my experience has been with the 260 Merc (350 Chevorlet)

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser 140 Block

First, for the wife, a short trailer is harder to back up than a longer one.....

As to the block, id look around at the junk yards for one. Or you may find a good deal on a short block from a machine shop, a dealer or craigslist. Then all you have to do is the head and your done.

srkelly

Cadet

Thanks Chief,
Your correct in trailer comment. The 17' will not set as deep as my Sea Ray though and she can hold on to it while I do all the work, I don't want to put the SR into the bank anyway. Thanks again.

fishrdan

Admiral

Though luck there for sure. The 3.0 is a "marine only" (or industrial) engine so you won't find one out of a car or truck. I'd check out Ebay, craigslist or a machine shop. Actually I saw someone selling some "rebuildable" blocks on Ebay a while back, something like $125, but who knows what type of work was needed to get the block back in shape.

Oh yeah, be careful buying a 3.0 block as the 2.5L block looks the same (and could be the same for all I know) and there are 2 flavors of 3.0L blocks, 2 piece rear main seal and 1 piece rear main seal.

srkelly

Cadet

Thanks Fishrdan!
I found a couple today for 300.00 (actually 150.00+150.00 freight Tx to Ar) guaranteed to be crack free and clean up @ 0.30 I also found a ton of resources I'd like to pass on to everyone.

http://www.geocities.com/sanclementeeric/glastronresources.html

There are several boat salvage yards listed as well as other services/parts.
Thanks again!