3.0 Merc intake leak

Dean173

Recruit
Of course I didn't listen to my car mechanic, who said "it ain't the carb---you have a vacuum leak", and rebuilt the carb. Everything went perfectly (wow-simple carb!!) until the last two steps---the next-to-last step, where I snapped the shaft where the throttle cable mounts to the carb, and the last step, where I start the engine, warm it up, and find out it's exactly like it was.<br /><br />So----NOW I take the can of carb cleaner he gave me and spray all around the base of the carb, and BINGO, when I run the spray over the seam between the manifold and cylinder head, she straightens right up.<br /><br />So--I probably have a bad manifold gasket. Car mechanic says "pull the manifold". Good old friend, retired marine mechanic, says "Try this first. Clean the area, warm 'er up, and drop a bead of Indian Head Gasket Shellac on the seam while it's running."<br /><br />Somewhere I read specifically NOT to do that, but I will trust my old friend no matter what happens.<br />OTOH I'd feel like an idiot not asking if anyone has done this, what to look out for, some dumb mistake my friend might have forgotten to tell me not to make (he lives in NC now, or he would've done all this for me).<br /><br />In case anyone cares, it's an '87 SeaRay Seville.<br />Hasn't cost me a dime till this year.<br /><br />Oh yeah, who knows if the piece I snapped off is the same as an auto piece, or where I can get one?<br /><br />Thanks!