3.0 LX Mercruiser Stern Trim/Tilt stuck in the down position.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Mercruiser stern and the unit is stuck in the down position. The up/down trim switch and the Trailer switch just make a low clicking noise. I have disconnected the Red, blue and green wires on the pump and attempted to put + voltage to the blue wire and green wires, but there was no clicking sound and no movement of the trim. BTW - the red wire has plenty of power and the screw that holds the plastic cover that covers the green and blue wires is also hot.<br /><br />The boat is on a hoist so it will be a pain to put it on a trailer and take it to the shop. <br /><br />Any ideas? <br />Where are the solenoids that some posts talk about?

tommays

Admiral
Re: 3.0 LX Mercruiser Stern Trim/Tilt stuck in the down position.

i would check the black wire which is the ground from the battery on my 3.0 the battery ground,trim motor ground and the soliend ground are all held to the pump frame with one stainless bolt any rust on the frame or bad connections at these wires will not let the motor run<br /><br />also allways disconnect the battery ground before working on any wires on the pump its very easy for a wrench to go from + to ground and become a welding rod<br /><br />tommays

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.<br /><br />Blk-n-Blu, Where is the solenoid located...on the pump frame?<br /><br />Tommays, Thanks for the heads up about the black ground wires. Just to be clear, I should disconnect the (-) terminal on the battery before checking the ground wires on the pump frame. I will try to ensure the wires are properly seated and look for rust. If I find rust, I'll look for another ground wire and try to get them stabilized and try the switch again.<br /><br />Any more ideas? <br /><br />This is a tough little job - as I do not fit well between the engine and the side walls :)

tommays

Admiral

thats the idea if you are useing a meter to check things you have to have the battery connected<br />when you need to start removeing wires to repiar bad connections you should disconnect the battery - ground to so you can work with out worring about your tools makeing and electric connection and a spark shower<br /><br />if you have a the black pump lead(-) connected to (-) and the blue or green connected to(+)ONLY ONE OR THE OTHER NEVER BOTH AT THE SAME TIME then he pump should run if it does not you have a pump problem not a soliened problem<br /><br />tommays

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I can't wait to get outta work and start to tinker.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

The sloenoids,motor and oil resiovor should be all one unit usually on a small bracket to keep off the floor with minimal effort you could remove the whole thing to work on it.You have checked the power supply and fuse...

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Yes. I have power and have seen sparks. I pulled the fuse connector apart and saw the fuse was clean and intact. <br /><br />I am bringing the multimeter home and will be testing this evening - if the weather doesn't get worse.<br /><br />I am betting (hoping) on a bad ground connection.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Success! I disconnected the power at the solenoids and metered all around checking continuity and voltage. I was conviced the solenoids needed replacing and disconnected the blue, green, and black wires from the pump. At the last minute,I fastened a nut to the black wires from the pump and the black (-) pump wire connected to the pump frame - and touched the blue wire to the (+) AND NOTHING HAPPENED.<br /><br />The next thing I did was test for continuity from the (+) terminal on th battery and the other end of the (+) wire near the pump. As expected it was hot. So then I tested the (-) wire from the battery to the (-) ground on the pump frame...NOTHING!!!<br /><br />I disconnected the battery, cleaned all of the terminal connections, tested for continuity again, and success! <br /><br />I put it all back together, reconnected the battery and I am a happy boater again!