3.0 liter chevy

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice
MY 3.0 DEISELS WHEN I SHUT IT OFF. ITS NOT SEVERE. USUALLY I CAN TURN THE KEY BACK ON THEN SHUT IT OFF AND THE ENGINE WILL QUIT. IT IS BRAND NEW. ONLY ABOUT 9 HRS. ON IT. IT DIDNT DO IT WHEN I TEST DROVE THE BOAT, OF COURSE! I PUT 89 OCTANE IN IT AND IT SEEMED TO HELP, BUT THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS I CAN RUN 87. ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS, P

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3.0 liter chevy

Could be a vacyyyuummmmee leak (sorry this forum will not let me spell vacuum)<br /><br />9Hrs on it sounds like a warranty item.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I stand corrected Vacuum Vacuum Vacuum

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rochester or Mercury carb... doesn't matter... check idle speed (I believe 800 +/-50 in gear) also look down throat of carb w/flashlight while running & tell me if dripping any gas... you will see droplets, not hard to miss.<br /><br />Octane of fuel doesn't matter... but I always run Hi-test first tank of year & last tank... 87 all the rest of the time. If manual says 87 run 87!!!<br /><br />Let me know your findings.<br /><br />fone_man

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

purple haze...the idle speed is too high...perhaps the throttle cable isnt allowing the throttle to close all the way?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Mercriuser has a service bulletin on this but it generally applies to larger motors. It does however fit your profile.Boatbuilders are continually making the engine compartments in their boats more sound proof but this also leads to more heat build in the bilge. Those extra degrees can lead to run on. Some steps suggested are allowing your engine to idle a moment or two before shutting down.Higher octane fuel.Running your blower before shutting down.Cooler t,stat .Timing change. By all means make sure your idle speed is to spec.

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the forum won't let you say that the vacuum sucks (s u c k s) properly.

prplhze65

Seaman Apprentice

THANKS FONE-MAN ILL CHECK ALL THAT THIS WEEKEND WHEN IM OUT. AND THANKS TO YOU HONDON, ILL TRY YOUR TIPS AS WELL. I HAVE TO TAKE IT IN FOR THE 20 HR. SERVICE AND ILL TELL THE DEALER ABOUT THE RUN-ON PROBLEM. BUT IN THE MEANTIME IF I CAN GET IT TO QUIT DIESELING THAT WOULD BE GOOD. THANKS AGAIN AND I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.P

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Just noticed where you are from.If you are using this in the SIERRAS ,proping could also be an issue.