3.0 cobra runs hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
at idle speed engine running at approx. 200 deg. when i speed up engine cools down to 160. engine has new manifold & elbow, t- stat. this season. impeller was changed last season. boat is an 87 140 h.p.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 3.0 cobra runs hot

just bringing it to the top. any suggestions?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I do not know the Cobra but I had that problem with the series 400 140 hp. Mine was real simple. I added the flushing port to connect up a hose to to flush engine but left the cap off one time. At low speed it would get hot as I went faster would cool down. Looked over the back to see if could see any seaweed on outdrive and noticed water running out flushing port. Put cap on and cooled right down. do not know if Cobra has such a flushing port or not but worth checking. Good Luck. I guess you could come into dock wide open.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

First re-check impeller varify it is good and stainless impeller housing did not twist in the plastic housing and o-ring seal is good in the housing, no groves on the wear plate put some aviation permatex on o-ring so it seals to plate.<br />rum motor on flush muffs with the ski ramp or cover off the drive is water running out from behind pump? if so may have to reseal rear plate. and is water coming out of the air bleed may have to pull off the little hose. still hot! does this one have pwr steering? if cooler may be plugged remove intake side put little finger in and fell around if plugged back flush with garden hose. varify stat is working properly. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.