2yr old gas

loghomer

Seaman
My boat did not get in the water this past year. How much concern should I have with about 30 gallons of 2 yr old gas. Should I drain it? Or maybe just fill up the tank with 30 more gallons to mix with?

bubbakat

Captain
Re: 2yr old gas

If that gas is two years old I would drain by all means

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree with Bubbkat, the performance will be poor. It has lost its octane. Being that old, I would mix it with fresh gas. Then only use it in the lawntractor, snowblower, rototiller, etc. anything with a small engine. I would not use it in 2 stroke applications though.<br /><br />If it has a real nasty smell like varnish, it needs to be disposed of. I had about 90 gallons of the crap and had problems of getting rid of it. However this stuff was about 7 years old. With it being 2 years old, I personally wouldn't chance it.<br /><br />SS

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I agree also, don't run it through your boat, or anything you wouldn't want to have to work on. Are you planning a NEW YEARS EVE Bonfire? <br /><br />STILL BE VERY CAREFUL!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Drain if off, 5 gal. at a time, and dump it in your car when it will only comprise 25% of a tank with fresh gas in it.

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would put some octane booster and Sea Foam in it and fill the rest w/fresh gas, you should be okay. Don't venture to far from marina until most the old fuel is gone. Refuel and add another can of Sea Foam. Sea Foam can found at most auto stores or marinas.