2nd ??? shaft longer or shorter

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The transom on my dorsett is 18" What shaft sould I go with. It seems that there is a 20" or a 15". If I go 20" I can make a lift for the mount. If I go 15", what are my options?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2nd ??? shaft longer or shorter

The transom on my dorsett is 18" What shaft sould I go with. It seems that there is a 20" or a 15". If I go 20" I can make a lift for the mount. If I go 15", what are my options?
My opinion from the info supplied is that you can always raise the motor a few inches whereas it would be a lot more difficult to lower the transom to suit a shorter shaft. Remember to have the cavitation plate an inch or so above the bottom of the hull.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

20" much easier to raise than to lower. what motor are you using?

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a motor yet. The boat was free in the local pennysaver but was totally stiped of seats, controls, and motor. I will be installing a 40 horse or so. I think the original motor was 50-55 HP and was an old ski boat but I just want to use it for cruising and fishing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Go with a 20 " you can always get a jack plate if you need to raise it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hope that sorts it out for you. Why dont you post some photos of your free boat. I think we would like to see them. Good luck with it and please keep posting your progress.