290 sterndrive serial decode

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in the volvo world from the 80's, you look up the whole package for an AQ151A

specifically, you go here. https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0

look up the AQ151A and then look at the transmission if you want to know specifically which 290 you have.

however based on the year, its most likely a small-pin early 290

1719309457282.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you didnt listen. you look up parts based on the AQ151A package.

Not your serial numbers. because the number you are posting is the transom plate number, not the drive number just above the steering helmut pin.

NorinRadd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
you didnt listen. you look up parts based on the AQ151A package.

Not your serial numbers. because the number you are posting is the transom plate number, not the drive number just above the steering helmut pin.
Sorry. I did that as well. Doesnt tell me what drive I have. Shows some stern drives and when i expand it shows some o rings but doesnt say what o rings they are for lol. Cant just slap any in there.

Again. Wild goose hunt. Doesnt help just creates more questions. How am I supposed to know what o rings I need based on nothing

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Sorry. I did that as well. Doesnt tell me what drive I have. Shows some stern drives and when i expand it shows some o rings but doesnt say what o rings they are for lol. Cant just slap any in there.

Again. Wild goose hunt. Doesnt help just creates more questions. How am I supposed to know what o rings I need based on nothing
for the drive, get a complete upper and lower seal kit (they are the same for all 290 drive up to the DP-H). Seal kits from VP will run you about $600 as they now list the seals separately (875741 , 876266 are now listed as see dealer) Seal kits from Sierra will be about $200 total for the upper and lower

for the cylinders, you need to get a cylinder seal kit. its about $75. Volvo doesnt sell seal kits for the cylinders. they only sell the cylinders.

the seal kits for the cylinders are aftermarket only.