28HP Evinrude won't stop!

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
Hi; I read back a few days ago about the fellow with the 65 HP that wouldn't stop, now I discover I have the same problem! I followed JB's suggestions and have found that I can get it to start at the key as long as I have a ground connected at the other end instead of the way it is {supposed to be} connected. This is a '69 Lark IV engine. The magneto wire that is supposed to be the ground for the switch goes to a component mounted on the right side of the engine. this component has a couple of wires attached to it, one of which goes to the magneto in the power head, another goes to the ignition switch, not sure where the third one goes to. This component also has a rubber tube that goes somewhere in the front of the engine. So I am wondering if this component is some sort of overtemp sensor that is supposed to shut the engine down but somehow is malfunctioning so that it never provides a ground while the engine is running. Funny thing is that with the engine not running there is a ground there because I can't start the engine unless the ignition switch is on, but once it is running you can turn the ignition switch off and it stays going! What is the purpose of this component? I can wire around it, but if it is a safety I would rather have it working properly, which right now I would say it isn't???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 28HP Evinrude won't stop!

What year is your 'Rude? If not year, do you have a model #?<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 28HP Evinrude won't stop!

The year is 1969, the model number is 28202c, sn 01761. Thanks for any help!