28 hp won't shut down

Molarman

Recruit
Thanks for previous help on by passing ignition switch. Now with old or new ingition switch on my 1987 Evinrude 28, engine continues to run with ignition switch off and lanyard pulled on kill switch. Starts great but will not shut down unless choked. All visible connections seem bright and tight. Thanks for a reply.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 28 hp won't shut down

I believe the black yellow wire from magneto goes to kill switch and kill switch goes to ground.<br /> When switch is in the off position or lanyard is pulled switch takes black yellow wire to ground <br />turning off the motor.

wbaldwin

Recruit

I'm having the same problem with my 28HP Evinrude. I have a new control box and the motor won't shut down. When I purchased the motor, the black/yellow wire was cut. I have no idea where it is supposed to go. Can someone please post a picture, or description of what i'm supposed to connect the wire to on both ends.

Thanks!
Wes

raymond2112

Cadet

Hi,

I've had the same problem when i changed my remote box. It took a little bit of investigation, but i found it.
If engine does not shut down on remote control, probibly the TWO BLACK wires of the engine plug must be SWITCHED.

This link might help:

http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

Try to follow black GROUND from solid point on engine until ignition and see or this is in position like diagram. When this is the kill switch wire (yellow-black) everything works, exept shutting down.
Check out engine plug en remote plug; probibly you need to switch wires here. It can be done in the plug but is a tricky job. You can also cut both wires en make a shortcut before plug to remote control-box.

Let me know please when i was of any help

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Just fixxed this problem on my 81-50, it turned out to be the big red plug, everything looked good but for some reason it wasn't making a connection.
As soon as I ran a new wire around the plug it shut off as it should.

It is the yellow/black wire, check the plug and make sure you are getting a connection.