275 outdrive stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

coronatrophy

Cadet
1986 trophy, just picked it up. Outdrive will not go down, no noise no nothing. Audible noise when going up, but not down. I'll check the switch but are there any common problems regarding this? Thanks.

captmello

Captain
Re: 275 outdrive stuck

Welcome to iboats! Nice to see another old VP owner, and a BL Trophy, nice!

It could be the switch. Could also be a bad relay. There are two relays in the black box on top of the lift assembly. Also there is a limit switch in the black box which stops it when it is fully down to prevent damage to the unit.

One of those three could be at fault. Or, you may have a bad wire also. You need to go through it methodically so you don't waste a bunch of money on parts.

While your here, download the manuals for your engine and outdrive, here:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

Use the 280 manual for your 275 outdrive, since there is no manual for the 275.

Let us know what you find, or if you need more help.:)

coronatrophy

Cadet

alright, beginning to get slightly irritated. I took the tilt relay cover off and discovered one is quite corroded and replaced it, and of course it did not fix the problem. i messed around with the switch and switched the wires around and it still only goes up. I jumped the relay at the box and I can make it go up and down but not with the switch.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check the switch with a test light, harness connectors can also be a problem. Check the whole length of the grey harness especially the connectors.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It takes both relays working properly with good clean connections on both for the tilt to work properly.
I learned to never replace one relay at a time, and on those setups, it's easier to replace both relays than try to troubleshoot.
There are no real troubleshooting instructions. Just get the ole wiring diagram and study it until you know how it works.
I have tried to do writeups on how to troubleshoot that system, and all I got was a headache trying to explain it.
Eventually I may figure out a way ......................

coronatrophy

Cadet

Check the switch with a test light, harness connectors can also be a problem. Check the whole length of the grey harness especially the connectors.

Thank you.... I went back to the basics. I am doing this testing alone so that makes it somewhat difficult. Looking at the relay, I was able to determine that "85" is the 12V signal wire for the relay. I also noticed this is the tan or blue wire (forget now) coming from the switch into the grey harness which goes to the relay box.

I disconneted the signal wire from the relay and wired it to 12V at the switch (jumper wire). Checked the voltage at the wire and it was only 6V. I found there is a main harness connector and checked it out.....wallla. The pin had backed out of the harness connector and there was corrosion present as well. Cleaned harness, reseated pin into connector......works like a charm.

coronatrophy

Cadet

It takes both relays working properly with good clean connections on both for the tilt to work properly.
I learned to never replace one relay at a time, and on those setups, it's easier to replace both relays than try to troubleshoot.
There are no real troubleshooting instructions. Just get the ole wiring diagram and study it until you know how it works.
I have tried to do writeups on how to troubleshoot that system, and all I got was a headache trying to explain it.
Eventually I may figure out a way ......................

Are you serious? One relay controls the up and one controls down. Never replace one relay at a time? you're kidding right? .....Thats what a wiring diagram is for....troubleshooting. You likely have a problem doing a write up as you dont understand it yourself.

I'LL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND.

A relay is basically a remote switch. It is able to carry a larger load than small switches. As an example, the trim motor....it pulls alot of amps and it would be a bad idea to run those heavy gauge wires all the way to the dash, and then run high amperage to the switch in the dash.

The relay uses a magnetic switch inside of it. One side of the relay is always grounded or always 12V depending on how the relay is wired. When the magnetic switch portion of the relay has a complete circuit, typically via a switch, it energizes the magnet and it pulls the switch in the relay. When this happens the switch inside the relay is closed or open (again depending on how the relay is wired).

I was being lazy I guess by just throwing a relay at it. I ended up putting the one I thought was faulty back in it and kept the new one as a spare. I rarely see relays go bad, but it does happen sometimes. I just assumed since it was corroded on the outside that it was bad.

Don, I hope you dont work or ever worked as a technician because I believe it is poor practice to replace parts instead of actually troubleshooting. It sounds as if you take more of a "shotgun" approach....I tend to be more of a sniper.

coronatrophy

Cadet

Uh, careful there.

LOL I know I know Don proclaims to know all and no one is allowed to talk smack on his poor diagnosis. Looking through the forum it seems as if he posts quite often but rarely actually gives an accurate diagnosis? LOL

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's not one for up and one for down. Look at the diagram carefully

It takes both relays to reverse polarity.

Changing both relays, is sound practice, they both have the same duty cycle on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.