260 Merc Points Conversion

erock194

Cadet
I replaced my points with a Seirra Ignitor points conversion. Once boat warms up the spark intensity breaks down. If i jump 12 volts to positive side of coil it comes back and runs fine. As per directions the Ignitor is wired directly to 12 volt source. Do i need to run 12 volts to positive side of coil all the time? There is a resistor wire only suppling 7 volts when it is running. Do i risk damaging the coil like that? Do i have to replace coil with a aftermarket one now that i am running the Ignitor conversion. Alot of head scratching on this one. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Eric

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 260 Merc Points Conversion

Look on the installation manual or the specs for the coil. It may not need a resistor wire...

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to run 12 v all the time, the resister is to protect points not coil,

erock194

Cadet

So run 12 volts to positive side. This will not damage coil. The instructions for conversion do not specify. The coil is the same one that was used with points.

erock194

Cadet

I have done some further research and it seems that the conversion kit needs 12 volts but the coil should still get its power through the resistor wire so that the coil don't heat up. The boat breaks up when wired this way.u If I run 12 volts to positive side it runs great at all rpm's. I'm sure someone has had a problem similar. What's the right move.
Thanks

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Usually when upgrading from points, the coil is replaced to the newer 12v type. Is you coil the round can type or the squarish type? Mallory Marine 9-29707 internal resistor coil, should solve your problem..This is the different type Mallory Marine 9-29708 Summitt, jegs, pace etc all have something that will work

erock194

Cadet

Yeah its the round type. Ok so replace the coil with newer one and run 12 volts to positive side and I should be good?

thumpar

Admiral

When I upgraded to the Pertronix I upgraded the coil also.

erock194

Cadet

Im not sure which way to go. Dont wanna burn out coil or Ignitor. On Ignitor website it says to use a points style coil with resistance because the Ignitor is not compatible with a HEI style coil. What does this mean exactly? The Ignitor is wired to a constant 12 volt source and the coil gets its power through resistor wire. This is whats recommended by manufacturer. It still breaks up once warm at about 1800-2200 rpm. Once i put 12 volts to coil directly break up goes away and runs fine. I hear that doing that burns up coil. I have been told to go with a internal resistance coil with 12 volts directly wired to positive side. Worried about damage to Ignitor when its wired that way. Whats best way to go so that i can salvage the rest of blackfish season as i have been scratching my head instead of fishing.
Thanks

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Does the coil get uncomfortably hot with a direct 12v feed? If you can't leave your fingers on it, it's above 125? F.

If it's just warm, should be no problem. Coils are in a sealed metal can because there's insulating oil in there to draw heat from the windings.

erock194

Cadet

so i put 12 volts to positive side of a externally resisted coil and it ran at dock for about hour on and off at various rpms. coil got hot but i could keep hand on it. cooler towards bottom of coil. was warmer then intake manifold and valve covers. about as warm as riser. once it was shut off cooled down quickly. am i doing damage or can i run like this?
thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the voltage at the coil while running? Maybe you need a new resistor wire.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Switch to an internally resisted coil, and put 12 volts to both the coil AND the Pertronix.

erock194

Cadet

What should voltage be running through resistance wire?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

You do not use the resistor wire with a pertronix and internally resisted coil. The resistor wire is ONLY used with POINTS on the "run" circuit. Spark is induced by the field collapse in the coil..it is somewhat voltage independent...7-14 volts, doesn't make much difference, as long as the potential is built up in the coil.

erock194

Cadet

Can I get the exact specs for coil? Ohms, voltage, resistance.
Thanks a ton.