25hp yamaha won't start!!

island boy

Seaman
Ihave a 2006 25hp yamaha four stroke engine that won't start and if it does it dies moments later. I have tried just about everything. The fuel is good and it seems to be getting good spark i was hoping someone would have an idea or two???

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25hp yamaha won't start!!

Has it ever started right for you?Be sure you are using the proper starting procedure.Be sure the gas line connectors are properly hooked up and that the line is the right way around.Arrow on primer bulb should point toward the motor.
Be sure the tank vent is open and clear.Be sure primer bulb pumps up firm.
Is the choke operating?

island boy

Seaman

It ran fine for an entire summer and the following summer it ran for about 3 weeks and then one morning i whent out to start it and it would not run. All is hooked up properly and it will run for about 2 minuites at first, then chokes out and will not start again.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you positive that it is getting fuel and has spark? unless you are 100% positive of those things, no need in looking elseware. also do a compresssion check if fuel or spark isnt the problem. clogged up carbs is a possibility

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah if you didnt properly winterize it you could have fouled up the carbs and they need a rebuild.

island boy

Seaman

I will take the carb apart tonight and see if there is any varnish in it. It was winterized but, maybe there could still have been a clog. Thanks

bobwinkel

Cadet

I am having a similar problem with my Yami 8hp 06 fourstroke. After about a second, the spark to the plugs shuts off completely. When first tested, didn't pick up on delayed shutoff. I have no idea what is wrong.

island boy

Seaman

I am not sure about your engine but mine has an electric choke and two days ago i took the engine to the dealership beacuse i was getting very frusterated and the replaced the electrinic choke mechanisim and it runs like a top again. Try to see if the choke is acting up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bobwinkel, you have a good question, but what you have done is called "hijacking" a thread. That is frowned upon.

Please start a new thread with your question/problem.

bobwinkel

Cadet

Sorry about hijacking the thread. Please see my new thread under Yamaha and Suzuki outboards.
Bob

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you checked the sump oil level? does the oil feel like oil, smell it, is there fuel mixed in the oil; as stated by the others, check compression,check spark ,check fuel system for airleaks/restrictions, and clean carbs.