25hp lower unit leak

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was getting water in gear lube. Pressure tested and found 2 pinholes in lower unit just above upper half of gear case below "cav" plate. Any suggestions on repairing these pinholes? Thanks.<br /><br />Jim

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 25hp lower unit leak

Sorry --- 1977 Johnson. Model 25R77S

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

"Pinholes"? As in all the way through the cast metal? That sounds like either a faulty casting or terrible corrosion from something. Below the Vent Plug (lower unit oil) level?

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pinhole.jpg
<br />The 2 red circles show approximately where they are. They are so small that I would never have noticed them if I had not been doing a pressure test on the gear box. There is no corrosion anywhere on the outside of the lower unit. Because there were bubbles coming from them while I had it in a bucket of water and under pressure, it has to be all the way through the cast metal. :confused: <br /><br />Jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Those may be the drain holes in the lower unit to let the water out after running the motor. That way is does not freeze and crack the unit in colder climates...If not, JB weld or have it welded...

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definitely not drain holes. Almost too small to see on visual inspection. If you took an ink pen and made a dot on a piece of paper, it would be the same size.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Either have the holes welded closed or get another LU.