25hp Johnson Hard cold start

rscarl

Recruit
1999 Johnson 25hp console model with electronic fuel enrichment system(push key).<br />Extremely hard to start when cold but runs and starts great after warmup. Fuel enrichment system is working as designed, fresh fuel, correct oil/gas mixture, new plugs, etc.There is no "warm up" lever or fast idle lever on this model. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

MERCMAN

Seaman
Re: 25hp Johnson Hard cold start

PUMP BULB UP TIGHT THEN CHOKE FOR A COUNT OF 5 OR 10 THEN CRANK ENGINE

rscarl

Recruit

Mercman- thanks for your reply. Per advice from others I have tried That procedure to no avail. Also, I was wrong about not having a cold start lever. It indeed does.I'll pump the bulb tight,Advance the cold start lever to just off idle or slightly higher,turn the key to the on position, push it in and hold for 10 seconds, and then crank. After about 10 minutes of pushing and cranking and moving the cold start to various positions it'll finally kick over. I have spark at both plugs when cold cranking. I'm not sure the choke is working properly as I once thought. Should Gas pump from the choke hose when the key is pushed in or only when it's pushed in and simultaneously cranking?

MERCMAN

Seaman

TRY THIS ON A COLD ENGINE YOU DO NOT WANT TO OPEN COLD START LEVER BECAUSE WHAT HAPPENS IS YOU DROP CRANKCASE PRESSURE AND WON'T PULL FUEL INTO MOTOR PROPERLY IF THAT DONT WORK YOU MIGHT TRY RICHENING UP IDLE BY TURNING THE MIXTURE NEEDLE OUT A EIGHTH TO A QAUTER TURN CONTERCLOCKWISE

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />Try this;<br />Make sure fuel conectors are seated properly, tank end and engine end. <br />Squeeze primer bulb untill tight, <br />Raise walm up lever aprox 1/2 way or so (make sure you feel some resistance, if you are not sure, remove the engine cover and make sure throttle cable is advancing the armuture plate.) you don't need it wide open. <br />Install your teather cord.<br />Turn the key to the "on" posistion, let the system check do it's thing. (lights and sound.) <br />With the key in "on" position (not "start") pump the key switch in 3-4 times, then crank the engine over. some times you may need to give the key a few additional pumps. <br />If this is a 3 cylinder model, they can be tempermental, you need to give them plenty of fuel at initial start up. The 2 cylinder models are not so fickle.<br />If this startup system does not work for you, have your dealer test you primer system for proper opperation or leave message and I will walk you through it.<br /><br />This next bit may not apply to you but I will pass it on anyway, <br />I had a customer with your same complaint, what we found was a small split in the fuel pickup tube on his 6 gallon OMC dura tank. Not a big enough gap to stop all flow but enough to make pickup under low vac***e tough. If you are using these tanks you may want to check with your dealer to see if you have one of these faulty tanks. OMC published a service bullitin on this problem. The problem is not with all the tanks, just a series produced last winter. Your dealer should be able to check them quickly. It's an easy fix if you own one and the fix is covered by warranty. Like I said this may not apply to you but your described complaint matched. <br />Hope this helps.<br />Rob