25hp head gasket

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1977 25hp Johnson electric start model 25R77S. <br />Okay fellas, I'm fixing to tackle my first head gasket change. Will replace thermostat, water deflectors, bypass,exhaust and water cover gaskets while I'm in there. Have my Seloc and OEM manuals and have parts ordered. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, tricks or suggestions for me before I dive in. Any and all input appreciated. Oh, also, any special tools besides torque wrench that may be required. (couldn't really determine this by reviewing manuals)<br /><br />PS: See post titled "25 Johnson Waterflow Trouble" for background info leading to this job. Thanks.<br /><br />Jim

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 25hp head gasket

Okay, must be pretty straightforward according to the manual then. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

G DANE,<br />Thanks. Sounds like rosco and I may have the same problem. Not sure how I missed that one when looking through threads. Lots of good info there. Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Jim

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally got her open last nite and can't believe she was even running with the gasket that was on there. What a mess. And someone left the thermostat out the last time they messed with it. Looks like they used ATV sealant on the gasket. I'll be scraping and sanding for a while today. :rolleyes:

kajnjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops, that would be RTV sealant. Question: Is the type of gasket sealant/adhesive used on the cylinder head cover critical?? Got a "use no sealant" head gasket, so that's not an issue, but the cylinder head cover gasket is paper and will require a sealant. Thanks,<br /><br />Jim