258 Vista Questions

jasperboy

Seaman
Hello all, new here, but not to boating. Just sold our 1989 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse and are looking to "upsize" to a pocket cruiser. Found a few 1994 Four Winns 258 Vista's around, and have some questions:

Plan to keep it in the water on Lake Erie around Sandusky to crusie the bay and islands area. Wife and I with 11 year old daughter. We would weekend aboard, and this boat seems to fit our needs. Would have day guests of annother family of four with same age children as my daughter, from time to time. Would the boat get crowded with 4 adults and three pre-teens? We had the same number on our 19' open bow, but just curious.

Also curious to the overall quality of the boat and drive. Seems that Four Winns are "upper" middle of the road boats, not Cobalt or Sea Ray, but NOT a Bayliner. What is the opinion of the owners?

Power is the 7.4L OMC Cobra and what I believe is the Cobra outdrive. I've read enough conflicting info on the Cobra, or if it is a Volvo Penta due to the year. If it is a Cobra, what are my concerns? Read about the need to have the "red" shift cable. Any other issues or thoughts?

Got a survey "copy", so it could be questionable, but report indicated it was a pretty dry boat with small amount of moisture present in the swim platform area. Hull is solid, and the boat is pretty clean. Engine has about 700 hours which I'm okay with, but how concerened sholud I be with the outdrive?

Would love to here the thoughts of other owners, and things to watch for or consider.

Thanks for all thoughts and opinions.

Jeff

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 258 Vista Questions

Hi.

1. The boat is 17 years old. I'd have my own survey done. The surveyor that you hire is the only person in the transaction who's working solely on your behalf.

2. Not sure about 1994, but that might be pre-the OMC/Volvo partnership. The concern with a 'pure' OMC drive is that no new parts have been produced since the late '90's. That's a long time. I personally wouldn't buy one. You might want to post this question in the I/O forum.

3. I owned a 1999, 24' Chris Craft express (240 EC). Same layout as the 4Winns and similar in dimensions. 7 people will be cramped in the cockpit. If you generally cruise to somewhere where folks get off the boat, it should be fine. Spending a day on the water with a load of 7 passengers, however, means nobody will have much moving-around room.

4. Make sure the 3 of you actually test the sleeping accommodations and figure out where you'll all fit. The C*C was tight with just my wife and I. I'm only 5' 9" tall, but that was too tall for the v-berth, so my wife slept there. There was plenty of room for me in the mid-berth once I was in it, but getting in and out of it was a challenge.

I assume you've been to the Four Winns archives and know all the particulars of this model?

http://www.fourwinns.com/service/past_product

Happy hunting! :)

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 7.4L motor may be mated to the King Cobra drive, different from the standard Cobra drive. If it's a King Cobra, stay very far away. The King Cobra is VERY expensive, if not impossible, to get replacement parts for. I suggest you post a question about the motor/drive in the iBoats Sterndrive forum.

I have a standard Cobra drive and am very happy with it. Contrary to popular belief you can still get new parts for it. If it is a standard Cobra (unlikely) then it should have the original black shift cable replaced with the improved red shift cable. Given the year of your proposed new boat I doubt you have the standard Cobra; yours is probably the newer SX Cobra (Volvo version).

jasperboy

Seaman

Really like to size and layout of this boat, so kept looking and found a 1996 with 5.8L and Volvo Penta DouProp. Believe the cockpit will accomodate 4 adults and three kids if needed, and believe the bunks will sleep three of us confortably. Any known issues with this make and model?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, you've found another weak link. That '5.8' motor is a 351 c.i. Ford, and Ford has been out of the marine business for as long as OMC has. There's a reason why you're finding 'good deals' on the boats you're presenting here- outmoded, obsolete mechanicals with reduced availability of parts and support.

IMO, you should do yourself a favor- shop GM-based motors with Mercruiser or V-P drives. Period.

fyi, since it isn't always obvious from owner ads... GM V-6's and V-8's have the distributor mounted at the rear of the block, Ford mounts (or mounted) theirs at the front.

Keep looking- you'll find it :)