25 hp Johnson 1975 overheating problem

Sotey

Cadet
I had a problem overheating at the lake today. I was running it as usual but didn't seem to have good water flow. It suddenly died and smoked quite a bit. It didn't seize but I can't get it started back up. It wants to turn over but just won't get there. Is there a possibility I burned something up? ie. solenoid or coil? I plan on changing the water pump and impeller but that shoudn't stop it from starting, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 hp Johnson 1975 overheating problem

Welcome to the forums Sotey....<br /><br />At the very least, take a compression test on each cylinder and a spark test before trying to fire it back up. And if you don't know how long it's been since the t-stat was changed out, change it out also along with the pump. <br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Can you tell us what RPM range you were running when the stall occured...Idle Midrange Highspeed.<br /><br />Is there any discoloration of the head? <---place where the sparkplugs are.<br /><br />Did you mix the oil in with the gas?<br /><br />TMD

Sotey

Cadet

Yes, TMD there is discoloration on the heads. The once green paint is now burned and a brownish color. I was running it close to wide-open. It burned up in about 60 seconds of running mid-range to high. I thought it may be possible that I had my fuel too rich but I think I mixed it okay. Could be wrong tho. Too much gas not enough oil maybe..huh?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do the compression test as OBJ has suggested and tell us what the plugs look like.

Sotey

Cadet

I took the head off and the cylinders were both just fine, luckily. The coil casings looks like they got pretty hot also but no wire damage. <br />I inspected the impeller and it was just fine also. When I was taking the lower end off I believe the water feed tub wasn't inserted all the way to the flange/seal, suspected reason for overheating. Going to replace the head gasket as it wasn't in too great of condition anyway. I have no way of performing a compression check so hopefully after I get it back together she'll fire up. If not I'll have to find someone to do the checkout.